Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

7x42 Ultravid

Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 23:16   #101
eronald

I'm still using the 7x42 UV HD a lot, basically as an everyday-carry except today (dentist).

It's a very nice binocular for any usage. However it is at ranges of several hundred meters - or yards, that I find it most amazing. My feeling is the view gets better with distance, whether this is because it really is sharper there or because the glass cuts some blue/UV light and thus subjectively cuts trough the haze of urban distance.

What is also astonishing is the ease with which one can move from eye-view to bino-view, there is no difficulty in getting the look and finding the target. Even though I wear glasses, I can see a catch a bird fly and catch it with no hesitation, can follow a flight or a line of architecture with no difficulty or seasickness.

Stability is superb, at least for my hands. The bino brightness matches reality nicely. I enjoy the move back and forth from eye-view to bino-view, and can feel my eyesight evolving and improving.

I took the glass on a riverboat trip down the Seine, and the perspectives and alignments down the river were definitely worth the price of admission. But I still find myself thinking of an SF ...

Edmund

PS. Today I saw some well-fed gray-and-white city pigeons (genus RatsWithWings Parisi) and a brownish female blackbird, walking and feeding on the ground in a park. I just stood still as I didn't have the glasses, and the bird dipped into hedges to avoid people walking by, then came back, and I sketched it on the back of my dentist's prescription, which allowed me to get a good memory image. The binocular has done wonders for my ability to "look", even without the instrument. And being a guest on this forum has made me notice birds.

Last edited by eronald : Friday 3rd May 2019 at 23:25.
Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 23:26   #102
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Hi Edmund,

The big 6mm exit pupil helps to get the bino aligned to your eyes very easily and quickly when needed.
Also, the wide true field of view helps following birds in flight.

The 7x42 Uvid+ is near perfect for me. I wish it could be a little lighter by 3-4 ounces or so. That's about the only thing I can think of that I'd like to change.

Glad you're enjoying your Ultravid. Hope you have a great weekend and see some more nice birds with it.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 01:05   #103
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Hi Edmund,

The big 6mm exit pupil helps to get the bino aligned to your eyes very easily and quickly when needed.
Also, the wide true field of view helps following birds in flight.

The 7x42 Uvid+ is near perfect for me. I wish it could be a little lighter by 3-4 ounces or so. That's about the only thing I can think of that I'd like to change.

Glad you're enjoying your Ultravid. Hope you have a great weekend and see some more nice birds with it.
Hi Beth -

I am enjoying it. Just realised I saw a black-backed gull over the Seine, in addition to the swimming cormorant! There seems to be a largeish gull colony in Paris now, I sometimes hear the cawing in the late afternoon.

Hope you too get to see some nice birds!

Edmund
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: