• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds that whistle - need info (1 Viewer)

Hi Everyone.

I am doing some research, and am looking for any resources or information about birds that whistle (worldwide). Is there such a list? Since a "whistle" is defined as making a sound between the lips and teeth, what defines a bird that whistles?

Thanks!

Sorry. Birds make their songs with an organ called a syrinx, which is located in their throat.

It may sound like a whistle, but it's not made like humans create whistles.

Chickadees, pihas, screech-owls, Olive-sided Flycatchers, Mississippi Kites,Sparrows (White-throated, Golden-crowned) — the list is endless.
Andy

White-faced Whistling Duck ?
Black-bellied Whistling Duck ?
I think I've seen these two species in the Martin Mere Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust "collection"

Simply put, Jeff is right, using the standard definition of whistling using lips and teeth - no birds whistle as they have no lips and no teeth.

Merriam Webster's definitions do give you leeway, as the sound made is also a whistle, so by definition anything making that sound is whistling.

Next you have to stop and define what you mean by the word, for us to understand what you are looking for.
Starlings and Lyre Birds are extraordinary mimics and both can sound like a police or referee's whistle, or do you mean the liquid trill of the skylark?

https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=17-P13-00002&segmentID=5 has some comment

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back