• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz Trinovid fogging (1 Viewer)

Gutawu2

CASwift
Hello-
Looking for recommendations on repair or cleaning. I have a pair of Leitz Trinovid 8x32 binoculars (serial 639405) with clouding in the right side. I have been using them about 6 years with careful care and just noticed tiny darkish speckles in the R side when I looked through the opposite end. I do not know if this was always there. I was a year into birding when I found them in a closet at my dads (they had been my grandfathers) and was so excited because they were so superior to my novice binos. Even with whatever is happening inside they still outperform my old binos.
I’ve read in forums if there is mold inside it will not be worth repairing but I haven’t found any descriptions on how to tell if it is mold inside. Is there a way to tell what the clouding/ specs are?
(I’m also aware these are very old so part availability is also a concern for repairs)
Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

Hi there and welcome.

This seems like fungus.
How extensive are the black marks?
Can you post a photo?

Suddarth Optical should be able to clean the binocular.
If the fungus is not too extensive it may clean up nicely.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back