• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

timwootton

Although I live and work in one of the most beautiful and inspiring places I've ever had the good fortune to visit, Orkney can also be a very isolating and difficult place to live. Therefore I've decided to throw an 'open party' for any 'guests' who may wish to join me for a discussion about art, love & life, birds (obviously) - just about anything, really. I hope you can allow an old man his indulgences as my contributions may be erratic, irregular and somewhat off the mark (sounds a bit like my bedroom antics, actually!). I would hope folk can feel free to post any stuff of interest, drawings, paintings, poems, songs and beer recommendations woud be all welcome and, as I have next-to-no idea about how this technology works, I won't be able to censor anything (my lawyers have asked me to say!).
I won't be doing a 2007 Sketchbook, as I had previously hoped - so everything I deem to be creative or interesting I guess I'll post. Please feel open and free to tell me to shut-the-****-up anytime you like.
So, here's my studio. Please enter and make yourself at home. It's always nice to hear good things about one's work - but please, if there's something you don't like (or understand?) speak openly - I won't take the huff!

Here are some drawings made today at the board - thoughts of 'chinstrap' divers (Gavia pacifica), birds on the beach and birds in my thoughts. Ideas for paintings and general doodles. Vod and Ton in left hand (purely for balance, you understand).

Attachments

• Bouy&Gull.jpg
    Bouy&Gull.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 778
  • kes.jpg
    kes.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 656
  • thoughts&ideas.jpg
    thoughts&ideas.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 806
Especialy like the third group/picture..

Love the various postures and expressions in the different species,the fact that some sketches are more complete than others gives a kinda candid view of your work.

This would make an interesting study piece,even as it stands it would look great mounted and framed.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Matt

matt green said:
Especialy like the third group/picture..

Love the various postures and expressions in the different species,the fact that some sketches are more complete than others gives a kinda candid view of your work.

This would make an interesting study piece,even as it stands it would look great mounted and framed.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Matt
Evening Matt! - What I forgot to mention is that when anyone enters the 'studio' they must partake of a wee-drinkie! So, (as to a landlord), "Hello, I'll have a G&T", or a "Bourbon", "Guiness" etc. . . .and then on to discussing the trivia presented to you. Not that alcohol is at all necessary in life . . . .

timwootton said:
Evening Matt! - What I forgot to mention is that when anyone enters the 'studio' they must partake of a wee-drinkie! So

Well Tim, it is only 10;30 AM so am I excluded if I don't have a wee drinkie? ;) Nice pictures and I will be "visiting" more. Great idea for a thread.

Joanne

Last edited:
joannechattaway said:
Well Tim, it is only 10;30 am so am I excluded if I don't have a wee drinkie? ;) Nice pictures and I will be "visiting" more. Great idea for a thread.

Joanne
Ha ha! - Yes Joanne, soft drinks are the order of the day - I mean it wouldn't be right to be slooshing virtual alcohol - well not before 11am, anyway! ;)

'Morning all - What's your poison this fine day? I thought the establishment required a bit of detail adding to it, so you know what kind of place it is you're visiting - so . . . here's a pic of my lavish and sprawling studio (note the 'Treadmill' buried under masses of rubbish - shows how much I use the thing!) - and there's one of me at work (snapped by Edie, my 5year old). This is the conservatory which doubles as my birdhide, music room and football watching venue (so I suppose that's trebles , not doubles). There's a couple of working sheets and I've started a life-drawing group so, if there's no huge outcry protesting against naked folk, I'll post regular efforts here too. I know it's not Birds, but it is from a bird-artist's studio (anyway Lars Jonsson puts portraits and life-studies in his great book and he called that 'Birds & Light! - so the great man sets the precedent). If folk don't want to see them - let me know.

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 684
  • TimDrawing.jpg
    TimDrawing.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 803
  • gullskech.jpg
    gullskech.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 643
  • boatGull.jpg
    boatGull.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 550
  • JoanSitting.jpg
    JoanSitting.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 761
Mornin' Tim, cup of coffee for me...

That's some fancy doodlin' mate! The gull looks good for developing. Personally I'm thinking about barn owls and snowy landscapes as my next finished piece, I wonder why?...

Excellent sketches Tim,

I would love to be able to draw like that, instead of two left feet I have two left hands!!!.

Any tips would be appreciated.

BTW mine's a wee glass of Rioja with my lunch.

Regards Jules

Woody said:
Mornin' Tim, cup of coffee for me...

That's some fancy doodlin' mate! The gull looks good for developing. Personally I'm thinking about barn owls and snowy landscapes as my next finished piece, I wonder why?...
Mornin' Woody. I've been following the weather down your way with quite a bit of childlsh envy - we've only had a sprinkling of hard rain and a bit of snow. Hope it's not causing too much of a problem and I look forward to seeing owls and snow pretty soon (will you bring one to this 'studio' for others to see, please?). All the best - Tim.

Jules Sykes said:
Excellent sketches Tim,

I would love to be able to draw like that, instead of two left feet I have two left hands!!!.

Any tips would be appreciated.

BTW mine's a wee glass of Rioja with my lunch.

Regards Jules
Well Jules I know some pretty talented left-handed folk, so you've got potential in spades!!! ;)
One Rioja coming up!

Ooooh some more have appeared whilst I was typing! You work quick!

My studio is also my conservatory, unfortunately it has to serve as a snooker room for random teenagers too. Needless to say, I don't work in there when my son and his mates are "'just hangin' out an' chillin'..."

Woody

Thanks for sharing your studio shots. I love seeing the studio clutter! It looks like the treadmill makes an excellent shelf. Reminds me of the saying, "A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind." You must be quite sane. ;)

roit..it's just gone 2 so I think I'll have a shot of your best bourben kind sir..

Good lord whats that (sips bourben) I see far right?,a very fine speciman indeed..nice posture (posterior)

Keep up the good work B :)

Matt

Too early here for a drink...coffee or hot chocolate? Are those acceptable?

Tim, I really like your sketches. It is that looseness that I appreciate. If done well, and yours are of course, the subject gets across in an astoundingly simple way. That sounds a little silly, I suppose.
Anyway, I really like and can appreciate work that is so representational it looks photographic, but I much prefer work that gives a little artistic license or at least lets the artist be an artist. Does that make sense?

By the way, what's the deal with the little infinity symbol at the bottom right hand corner of your gull study? (Just thought I would put something else on the table to discuss)

Best
Elizabeth

PS Oh yes, and I am terribly jealous of your view.

Tim, Tea for me.

Just one question from a rank amateur. What is the size of the paper sheet for an idea of scale.

jcwings said:
Thanks for sharing your studio shots. I love seeing the studio clutter! It looks like the treadmill makes an excellent shelf. Reminds me of the saying, "A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind." You must be quite sane. ;)

You should see the state of my room - books, DVDs, CDs and so on piled high on every available surface. I like to think I have a healthy mind! ;)

Great thread Tim, and your five year old has made a good job of taking that pic of you! As for the sketches - wow!

Hello Tim, cheers with a wee nip. hows this wee drop of snow down the south end? it all seems fine about the town. I do like your sketchs of the gulls and look forward to seeing more of your work. Have you seen the iceland gulls at the piedie sea.Theres two about at the moment showing quite well. Is your gallery open thru the winter months? i might have a wee squiz in when im passing.
Cheers for now Daf

dafi said:
Hello Tim, cheers with a wee nip. hows this wee drop of snow down the south end? it all seems fine about the town. I do like your sketchs of the gulls and look forward to seeing more of your work. Have you seen the iceland gulls at the piedie sea.Theres two about at the moment showing quite well. Is your gallery open thru the winter months? i might have a wee squiz in when im passing.
Cheers for now Daf
Hiya Daf - I'm just back from town -even went scooting through Somerfields and never even looked at the Peedie Sea!!!! in fact I haven't seen a white-wing since we left Shapinsay 16 months ago - I'm in town next week so can you ask them to stay around a bit longer (the glaucs on Shap 2 years ago never even left my field for about 4 weeks!). And yes - the gallery is open all the time - why not give me a ring to check I'm around 'cos I wouldn't want to miss you if you come - the number's 437. Crikey we might even get to have a real nip instead of these very palatable virtual ones - ha ha !

Hi Elizabeth - the symbol is just a doodle - it probably means something about the meaning of life to some folk, but I just drew it (sorry I can't pretend to be deeper than that, ha ha!). Thanks for the comments - feel free to post images here for discussion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back