• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where in nairobi? (1 Viewer)

sean_bird

hi. what are the places where i can see lots of birds? i am interested particularly in small, cute and colorful ones like blue waxbills, sunbirds, etc., and not so much so in weavers or any bigger than them. i prefer seeing them in lodges or gardens a bit outside the town. have been to a limuru lodge and the masai mara lodge.

thks!

I am also interested in sites in Nairobi as I will be flying out on Friday and will be there for 5 days before heading out on Safari. I will certainly be doing a few day trips to Nairobi National Park, but it is expensive. A few safe sites in the city would be good to know, as I hear that many places are a bit dodgy for walking around with binoculars.

Tom

Nairobi NP is definitely a good place to start but it does get very costly. The Natural History Museum also had some decent birds on the grounds. Depending on how far from Nairobi you're willing to travel, there are a number of great day trips that can be done. Lake Magadi, the Solio Plains, Kiene Forest, Thika sewage works, and Hobcraft Farm can all be reached in easy day trips and have some great birds!

Thanks for the useful links James. I'm traveling with a 3-year-old, so the Giraffe Center looks particularly interesting.

Tom

if you are in Nairobi on a wednesday , try the Nature Kenya Bird walk which starts at the museum about 8.30 . It goes to a different place every week and there are plenty of them . when will you be there ?

Mike D , normally in Nairobi

will try the AFEW sanctuary or the Windsor Golf & Country Club. hope i will get their locations right.

cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back