• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feather discoloration (1 Viewer)

Bird_Bill

Hello everyone!

Came across this female Ruby-throated a few days ago when it turned up in a camera trap I have on a nectar feeder.
Any thoughts on the white discoloration on top the head, and behind the gape?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190708_172711.jpg
    20190708_172711.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 37
Looks like a bit of leucism-an abnormal plumage condition caused by a genetic mutation that prevents pigment, particularly melanin, from being properly deposited on a bird's feathers.

Looks like a bit of leucism-an abnormal plumage condition caused by a genetic mutation that prevents pigment, particularly melanin, from being properly deposited on a bird's feathers.

Hi, ducbucin.....Thank you

What appears to be the same bird has turned up a few times since it triggered the shutter in that pic.

I agree and suspected leucism, but I'm open to thoughts about any type of environmental staining.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back