• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HT diopter defective? (1 Viewer)

JimG

I just received a pair of Victory HT 8x54 and tried to adjust the diopter setting for my eyes but the wheel will not move at all. I read that it is stiff so you don't accidentally change it during use but I can't get it to budge. Am I doing something wrong? I tried pushing/pulling the wheel to see if it might have a release lock but it won't move that way either and I've read nothing about a lock, only that it is stiff. The eye cups are also supposed to have 4 settings but the clicks are not clear and distinct like on my SF's and they feel stiffer - not really a problem since I would use them all the way extended but is this normal for the HT's?

Hi,

On the HT the rubber part of the dioptre wheel revolves around the inner part with the marking on it.

There is no lock on the wheel.

FYI.......I have just tried both of mine and they are very stiff.

Gary.

Thanks. They must be defective; the wheel appears to be frozen. I have a good grip and even used a rubber gripper like you would use on a large stuck jar lid and could not get the wheel to budge in the slightest. I considered using pliers but thought I might break something.

Zeiss customer service also just told me there must be something wrong with them and they could send me a free mailing label to send it in for repairs but it could take months to get it back. So I'm trying to do an exchange instead with Amazon.

I did an exchange and the new one works normally so I did get a defective pair the first time around. The new pair is somewhat disappointing though. I can't tell any difference in detail in various dark/semi dark conditions between it and my Victory SF 8x42 (5.2 exit pupil) pair. I presume it's because at age 69 my pupils no longer will enlarge enough to take advantage of its' light gathering capabilities. I gather the 8x54 HT (6.75 exit pupil) light gathering advantage is only useful for younger eyes? And the 3% better light transmission is too small to be noticeable?

I did an exchange and the new one works normally so I did get a defective pair the first time around. The new pair is somewhat disappointing though. I can't tell any difference in detail in various dark/semi dark conditions between it and my Victory SF 8x42 (5.2 exit pupil) pair. I presume it's because at age 69 my pupils no longer will enlarge enough to take advantage of its' light gathering capabilities. I gather the 8x54 HT (6.75 exit pupil) light gathering advantage is only useful for younger eyes? And the 3% better light transmission is too small to be noticeable?

Jim, you have summed up your situation (and mine, as I am also 69) correctly I think. It is highly likely that your pupils and mine simply don't open up wide enough to take advantage of a 54mm bino. Some authorities say 3% is the smallest increment in light transmission that can be noticed but this is very small and we are all different and have differing perceptions so one shouldn't expect an immediately obvious increase in brightness.

Also, your SF has got high transmission glass in it too, probably the prisms, although Zeiss has never revealed where. So with the SF you already have a super companion.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Jim and Lee..... exactly the same for me to . I'm 69... and I need higher magnification more than FOV to enjoy the subject. I use a Zeiss 10x42 Conquest which perform well and (for me) are brighter and clearer than my Vanguard Endeavor ED11 8x42. The Zeiss coatings obviously help my eyes more than my Vanguards and my Opticron ED scope. As you get older eyes degenerate to the point where I have floaters and a cateract and I keep thinking I have dirty lenses. Fabulous glass, coatings etc can't eliminate eye imperfections.
Any way I'm digressing and going away from the original diopter problem.
Regards. Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back