• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Inverness (1 Viewer)

HAWK-LORD

Hi

I am visiting Inverness in mid April and was wondering if there are any areas worth visiting whilst I am there for bird watching/photography. I will have to use public transport. Also any hotel recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Plenty to see and do in the area. Getting to the good areas using public transport unfortunately may be a bit of a problem though.

What species are you looking for when you get up here?

Plenty of cheap and cheerful hotels in Inverness city centre, Prem Inns, Travelodges, Ramada and a whole heap of private guest houses.

If your going for photography have you thought about hiring a guide? To pardon the expression killing two birds with one stone? Transport provided and expert guidance to the birds?

Have a look at award winning photographer Marcus Conways "e-birder" web page.

Need anymore info just ask or PM me.

Good birding.

Dave

Gordon Hamlett's book is well worth buying. http://www.nhbs.com/best_birdwatching_sites_in_the_scottish_highlands_tefno_141740.html

And I'd agree with Dave that Marcus' webpage is well worth a look.

I have no affiliation with either of these two but I have used Gordons book on many an occaison and I dont know Marcus but I could probably see him with my scope from my house as he lives across the Firth from me! No Marcus I am not stalking you; but that red jacket you're wearing looks lovely :)

Dependant upon budget I'd look at the premier inn near the golf course (Torvean A82).
Wife and I have stayed there and had nice walks along the river and canal. Can easily walk into town by heading behind the watersport centre and past the Botanical gardens (worth a visit if you have time) and the cross the river at the first bridge and go over the wee islands. Often seen dipper at the edges of the water, sometimes less than 20' away.

Buses are available out to the black isle IIRC, Rosemarkie, Avoch etc. and all the way to cromarty - er go Cromarty firth. Any of the coastal villages are worth a look. On the other side of the firth, Castle Stewart and Fort George are nice areas for a bit of birding.
Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back