• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill -- HELP (1 Viewer)

Andy Guppy

I am fast appoaching 50yrs old ( end of February 2018 ) and mrs would like to do something special to mark the event and asked what i would like.

I suggested a great opportunity to watch and photograph crossbills, anyone know any good places with a high success rate of watching and close enough for camera action on these gorgeous birds ? ( must have a hotel nearby of course as she has suggested a few days away 8-P)

Hi Andy and Happy New Year to you.

I've not had much luck with Crossbills of late. But some years ago found a nice flock in the Dunkeld area. Other good places would be in Deeside and Strathspey.

So basically any good woods with nice pine cones is what you're looking for.

Hopefully you'll get some input shortly from those further north.... surely they've sobered up by now B :)B :) hic ;)

Have a great 50th laddie.

Thanks Delia, i have been told of a farm at scotston that has a feeding station that crossbills frequent but cannot find any info or contact details, maybe take a drive up to amulree and speak to them face to face to see if its still operational.

Have thought of speyside for a few nights break , but for me i need to find a local with extensive crossbill knowledge before i commit to this one

Regards

Mmmmmm.... that's always struck me as a very nice farm with some lovely habitat. An oasis in the middle of moorland!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back