• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher. (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

Good evening to you all,

I can still recall the first time that I saw a Kingfisher, on the River Dart and more years ago than I care to admit. However, they never cease to please do they? This morning I had to walk our dogs as the hubby had to go to work early and we went on one of our usual local walks which goes past the River Yeo. On our way back I stopped there to let the dogs have a swim to cool down and, fortunately before I had let them in the water, there was the unmistakable flash of electric blue and burnt orange of a Kingfisher, skimming the surface of the water. I suppose I saw it for no more than 5 seconds, but it made my day. I`ve walked past that spot hundreds of times since we`ve lived here and that`s the first one that I`ve seen, but I shall be keeping an even better look out now that I know they are around.

That is good news Wendy, I hope you get many more views of the Kingfisher. :t:

At the local reserve we go to my daughter and I have seen a flash of a kingfisher twice and each time my husband was looking in another direction and missed it!!! I keep telling him not to take his eyes of the water!! :-O

What a wonderful sighting, such a pretty bird but so fast you're lucky if you catch sight of one. I wonder how anyone manages to photograph such a quick bird. Hope you are fortunate enough to see it again soon.

We had a very brief visit from one in our garden earlier this year, and we haven't even got a pond!

Hi Wendy,
What a lovely sighting, and one that I've never had the pleasure of! Hope you can repeat the pleasure and see him again many, many times.
Kezza you lucky thing!! what a garden visitor that was!!
All the Best to All, Judo.

It took me until July 1992 to see my first Kingfisher but once I did it was worth it!!! :t:

They really are fabulous wee birds and once you know their call it's amazing how many times you DO see them! And keep your eyes low over the surface of the water.....I think I kept missing them because I was looking in the wrong place ie too high up above the water surface! :'D

Haven't seen any this year yet...though I haven't really been out as much as I would have liked over the past few months. And not having any decent bins has hindered me somewhat...but not any more! I'm off to Newcastle today to treat myself to a new pair as I've been scrimping and saving for weeks!

How lovely for you Wendy. I've never ever seen a Kingfisher ~ and according to our local rspb they're supposed to be on the River Doon, but no matter how many times I do the local walk I've never been lucky. I hope you have many more sightings.

Best wishes

Yes folks, I agree, it`s always by good luck (or serendipity) that you get to see some of these more elusive birds. Let`s face it, a few seconds either way yesterday and I would have missed it. No doubt I could have sat there for the rest of the day and not seen it again.

Hi Wendy.
They are wonderful, aren't they? My best ever sighting of one was at a place called Tophill Low, which lies between Beverley and Driffield. My pals and I were having our lunch in the visitor's centre when a Kingfisher appeared on a branch which was overhanging a little pool, some 20 yards away. During the hour we were there the Kingfisher never left, and fed continuously. It was catching fish, about 1 inch in length: we counted his catches, and to our amazement, when we left it still fishing, it had caught and eaten at least 45 fish, and it had possibly more than 45 inches of fish inside it. That was a magnificent sighting of a Kingfisher: certainly one that I will never forget.

All the best.
Baz.

How exciting for you, Wendy! Glad it made your day, and hope that you will see one again and again!

Great news Wendy!
We are very lucky in that we usually see "ours" every time we go for a walk to our local country park and yet it is still a real thrill!!
Lets hope yours becomes a regular for you too!
Best wishes,

Sounded beautiful Wendy and a delight to read about. I honestly can't recall my first sighting, but it's a fair few years ago now I know. Do you ever see any at Sutton Binghame these days? We haven't seen one there since they took away it's perch! I swear next time we go I'll take one out with us!

Sue

Sue Wright said:
Sounded beautiful Wendy and a delight to read about. I honestly can't recall my first sighting, but it's a fair few years ago now I know. Do you ever see any at Sutton Binghame these days? We haven't seen one there since they took away it's perch! I swear next time we go I'll take one out with us!

Sue
Hello Sue,

I don`t often see much at Sutton Bingham to be honest, and certainly not a Kingfisher. I did see a swan and cygnets up close back in May, but nothing of great interest since then. Mind you, I`ve only been a couple of times!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back