• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 opinions (1 Viewer)

RCMann

I've got the opportunity to pick up a set of 7x42 BNs at a pretty reasonable price. I've never used 7s, normally preferring my 10x43 Pentax DCF SPs, but thought I might give these a try, if only because of the price. If anyone has experience using 7x42 Leicas I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks...RC

Hi RC,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I was tempted by these as well when I bought my binoculars a while back, but opted for the 8x32's instead which are more compact and a better price at the time. I don't regret the choice at all.

Hopefully someone shortly will be along with a more informed opinion of them.

See you around.

I never liked the Leica 42mm/BA/BN series that much, mainly because of their weight and their shape. Very good optics (although not quite up to some of the new arrivals on the market, at least the early bins in that series had noticeable colour fringing), but too heavy and a decidedly odd shape.

That said, I'm tempted to get a pair of 7x bins again sometime in the future. I like their large field of view and their great depth of field. Also, I generally find bins with large exit pupils very easy to use in the field. No problems with handshake, and as I almost always carry a scope anyway the lower magnification doesn't bother me all that much. The pair I find most tempting at the moment is still the (old) Zeiss 7x42 BGATP. I used one for a few years and sold it, a decision I still regret.

Anyway, if you can live with the weight and size of the Leicas you'll like them.

Hermann

RCMann said:
I've got the opportunity to pick up a set of 7x42 BNs at a pretty reasonable price. I've never used 7s, normally preferring my 10x43 Pentax DCF SPs, but thought I might give these a try, if only because of the price. If anyone has experience using 7x42 Leicas I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks...RC

If you are comfortable with 10x binox, you might not enjoy 7x42s. I have been using a pair of Swarovski SLC 7x42s for several years now, and I have never wished I had anything else. I do mostly woodland birding, and I really appreciate the wide field of view. I did try the 7x42 Leicas, but I like the fit, feel, and focussing of the SLCs better.

I guess the questions are - do the Leicas "fit" you, and are you willing to give up magnification for field of view.

Clear skies, Alan

Happy with 7x42s

I recently purchased a Leica Ultravid 7x42, and am very happy with it. As in a lot of things, binocular selection involves compromise, and such is the case with this purchase. I opted for a larger field of view, brighter and clearer image, and larger exit pupil rather than a slightly larger or closer image that will be less perfect. I was also pleasantly surprised by the extended depth of field (makes focussing easy) and the enhanced contrast of the image.

My old pair was also 7 power, and I compared the two images. A mourning dove on a wire is identifiable through my old pair, but through the Leicas, I could detect additional subtleties involving plumage colors and details.

Alan, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with what you see through the Leica 7x42, but before making a choice you may not be happy with, it might be a good idea to spend some time with a pair of 7x binos to see if you'll be happy stepping down in magnification from what you're used to.

Last edited:
7 x 42?
I used them for years (the old Zeiss ones that people love) I still have them and they are beautiful - you'll get a wider field and a great depth too, probably won't have to focus them as you'll be able to do it with your eyes. I use Nikon 8 x 32 as well now and there's not much in it. In a forest/jungle i think i'd give it to the 7s for the extra brightness and depth....in a more open setting, I'd use my 8s. What would i plump for out of the two....so hard, impossible to choose....you will be happy with the 7s I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back