• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1/4" - 3/8" Thread (1 Viewer)

orbec

Hello all

Can anyone tell me what standard the 1/4" - 3/8" thread is? IE Whitworth or whatever, as I want to re drill & tap one of my heads from 1/4 to 3/8ths.

Cheers...

The threads used on tripod heads are UNC, Unified National Coarse.

Specifically 1/4-20 UNC and 3/8-16 UNC.

The 1/4 and 3/8 indicate the major diameter in inches.

The -20 and the -16 indicate threads per inch.

While these are the same size and pitch as British Standard Whitworth they are not interchangeable. BSW uses a 55° thread angle while UNC is 60°.

Mike

Mike

Interesting. The Wikipedia page on tripods says the historic standard is Whitworth. It would be interesting to hear from an engineer in the business what the tripod and camera manufacturers are actually using these days.

Interesting. The Wikipedia page on tripods says the historic standard is Whitworth.

It also says "A BSW bolt in a UNC nut has play, but a UNC bolt in a BSW nut will jam."

I can tell you that a 1/4-20 UNC screw will fully engage the threaded socket of all of my cameras and scopes. This either indicates that they are all UNC or that, if the are BSW, the diameter is oversize to allow the use of either thread.

Wikipedia goes on to state "The camera is attached ... via quick release plate, or a simple UNC 1/4"-20 screw." This statement references this site.

Tomorrow I will measure a group of threaded adapters from my various tripods to determine whether they are UNC or BSW.

I have also contacted Manfrotto regarding which standard they use and will post their response should I get one.

I didn't realize that this was a controversial subject until I delved into it.

Mike

The original camera, lens, and tripod standard threads are 1/4" x 20 and 3/8" x 16 Whitworth, although the equivalent UNC threads in the short sections needed for tripods etc will fit just as well and don't lock up, I've used both with no problems. If you have access to a lathe they are easy to make in either thread, just don't make the UNC ones too long, 3/8" is more than long enough for most fittings.

nirofo.

Last edited:
I stand corrected

I just received a reply from the Technical Support Department at Manfrotto/Gitzo stating: "The threads on our tripods are British Standard Whitworth (BSW)."

That is definitive enough for me.

orbec, sorry I led you down the wrong path. I hope you didn't buy that tap yet. :h?:

You never know what you might learn on BirdForum,
Mike

Specifically 1/4-20 UNC and 3/8-16 UNC.

The 1/4 and 3/8 indicate the major diameter in inches.

The -20 and the -16 indicate threads per inch.

While these are the same size and pitch as British Standard Whitworth they are not interchangeable. BSW uses a 55° thread angle while UNC is 60°.

Mike

Tripod threads are BSW......Yes BSW are 55 degs and UNC 60 degs which means because dia. and pitch are the same, a UNC male will screw into a BSW female but not vice versa due to deeper thread depth.
Joe :t:

Last edited:
Thankfully I haven't splashed out on a UNC tap as yet & will now pick up some BSW bits & pieces on my next trip back to the UK.

Thanks again for the info

Nigel

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back