• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choshi/Hachijo-jima February (1 Viewer)

SteveMM

Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating a February trip to the above destinations and have a few questions I hope somebody out there can help with.

Firstly, regarding Choshi, are the gulls there generally close (as in a UK harbour) or distant (as they unfortunately tend to be here in Taiwan)? I'd be disappointed if I didn't come away with a camera full of decent photographs were I actually spend a few days there! Also, are the areas the gulls prefer easy to find?

Secondly, regarding the ferry, is this time of year suitable for albatrosses or too early? I read 'late winter' for this route, which to me at least does mean February. Also, how often does this ferry get cancelled due to rough seas at this season? Inter-island ferries here (despite being scheduled to sail daily) are more likely to not sail than actually sail in February, though the vessels involved are rather small.

Hope someone out there is in a position to answer!

Steve

Hi Steve, I can't really help you with details of Choshi etc as I live in Hokkaido. The gulls in the harbours in Hokkaido are all pretty tame though and it's possible to get good photos even with a shortish lens.

If you use facebook there is a group for expat birders in Japan. You have to ask to join (it's a formaility) and I'm sure someone on there can answer your questions about Choshi better than me.

Hi Steve, I can't really help you with details of Choshi etc as I live in Hokkaido. The gulls in the harbours in Hokkaido are all pretty tame though and it's possible to get good photos even with a shortish lens.

If you use facebook there is a group for expat birders in Japan. You have to ask to join (it's a formaility) and I'm sure someone on there can answer your questions about Choshi better than me.

Cheers, Stu. I'll bear that in mind. Looking at the photos that come out of the place, I'm guessing that the usual suspects at least will be pretty straightforward at Choshi.

Steve

Since I’m going to Japan as well in February and is planing to do the Hachioji-jima at the end of the month I’m also interested if anyone have any answers to Steve’s questions about this.

/ Adam

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back