• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 - New models EL (2 Viewers)

Expanding on a point in John/ Tringa45’s post

It’s always struck me as slightly odd that when the EL line was introduced it was in 8.5x42 and 10x42,
verses Leica and Zeiss typically offering three x42’s in 7x, 8x and 10x

One explanation is that a 7x42 EL may have always been planned as a future option . . .
The trio of 7x, 8.5x and 10x offers even increases of magnification:
7 x 1.2 = a nominal 8.5 (actually 8.4), and; 8.5 x 1.2 = a nominal 10 (actually 10.2)

As we know, 7x is very much the minority choice in terms of sales between 7x42, 8/8.5x42 and 10x42 options
However, being a big fan of 7x, I’d certainly welcome a 7x42 EL

John

Last edited:
Jerry,

A simple .... yes - here is my source information, or no - I was just wondering out loud, would have sufficed to my legitimate question.

I'm sure you're a better man than your reply, and hope that you are ok.

Chosun :gh:

Completely unacceptable posting, ND. Classless. Apology owed to CJ.

Back on topic, and just my opinion, but I don't expect to see much of anything revolutionary. An IS binc from Swaro would be pretty amazing, one can only imagine the cost involved with such an optic with "Swarovski" stamped on the side of it.

Expanding on a point in John/ Tringa45’s post

It’s always struck me as slightly odd that when the EL line was introduced it was in 8.5x42 and 10x42,
verses Leica and Zeiss typically offering three x42’s in 7x, 8x and 10x

One explanation is that a 7x42 EL may have always been planned as a future option . . .
The trio of 7x, 8.5x and 10x offers even increases of magnification:
7 x 1.2 = a nominal 8.5 (actually 8.4), and; 8.5 x 1.2 = a nominal 10 (actually 10.2)

As we know, 7x is very much the minority choice in terms of sales between 7x42, 8/8.5x42 and 10x42 options
However, being a big fan of 7x, I’d certainly welcome a 7x42 EL

John

It seems to me that if you are not going to offer a 7x in 42mm (which disappeared from the SLC line around 2010) in a new series of binoculars you have to do something unique and different with your 8/10x42s.

An expensive 8.5x42 with all the trimmings can fit the bill for that. Especially when you are keeping your standard and less expensive 8x42SLC and 10x42SLC in the line up.

Alternatively, when Zeiss dropped their 7x42Victory it offered in 2014 the completely redesigned Victory SFs in 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

Last edited:
Interesting thought Jerry. I'm trying to think what would impress me enough to purchase a new Swarovski. Quite honestly it would have to be a new model. Maybe a 7X32/35. EL or SLC, it probably wouldn't matter. Maybe a slimmed down EL 8X42.

I agree with you, a 7 x 35 would be fantastic.
P

A 10x42 is suboptimal for close-in birding. Not only does it have a relatively narrow Fov, but its depth of field is only half that of a 7x binocular at the same distance and one has to search for the bird in the third dimension.

Individual preferences on speed of focus vary, sometimes too slow, sometimes too sensitive. I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances.

John

John
I would put it this way: I would love to try out a bino with the focus speed of an SF from infinity down to 10m (this is a touch faster than an EL) and then below 10m the focus speed of Conquest HD 8x32 (twice the speed of SF).
With zero back-lash / free-play in the focus, please.

Lee

It seems to me that if you are not going to offer a 7x in 42mm (which disappeared from the SLC line around 2010) in a new series of binoculars you have to do something unique and different with your 8/10x42s.

An expensive 8.5x42 with all the trimmings can fit the bill for that. Especially when you are keeping your standard and less expensive 8x42SLC and 10x42SLC in the line up.

Alternatively, when Zeiss dropped their 7x42Victory it offered in 2014 the completely redesigned Victory SFs in 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

I would submit to you that, in light of the fact that Swarovski Optik outsells all the "alpha" brands substantially, and the fact that their business has continued to grow rapidly over the past few years, Swaro doesn't have to come out with new and updated products as often as the others. Their current lineup sells extremely well, and Swarovski Optik backs up their product better than any other premium barnd as well.

...I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances...

I don't have a specific answer, but I think any reasonable implementation would be a huge improvement over the current performance. Variable speed focus is used in the Pentax Papilio, and it was used in the (now discontinued) Brunton Epoch and Minox HG binoculars. The main issue for me with the EL SV is the focus being too "slow" up close. I'm happy with the current ratio for mid-range and distant focus.

--AP

I just looked up my Swarovski 8x56 slc at B&H and it says they are discontinued. The 10x56 is still available.
Those are both the old discontinued models; interesting that B&H still has a few left of the 10x... and still wants so much for them. The current 10x (which I have) and 8x56 SLCs are much nicer, but not widely stocked in the US, including B&H.

Back on topic, I think Swaro must be pretty comfortable with where they're sitting in the bino market right now. I interpreted the recent Field Pro hoopla as an indication that they don't feel pressured to make more substantive improvements.

By the way, I just attended the grand opening of a birding store (we finally have an alpha optics dealer in town) and saw Swaro's binocular eyepiece on the ATX scope. In a word, wow! Really amazing comfortable view. It seems a bit much to lug around (I don't even have a scope myself), but maybe not compared to a 95mm full bino. The only variable magnification is by adding in a 1.4x converter, but still... wow.

Completely unacceptable posting, ND. Classless. Apology owed to CJ.

Back on topic, and just my opinion, but I don't expect to see much of anything revolutionary. An IS binc from Swaro would be pretty amazing, one can only imagine the cost involved with such an optic with "Swarovski" stamped on the side of it.

beamer:

Chosun and I like trading barbs. It makes things on here more interesting.

So you can MYOB, and if you need a definition, just ask. :-O

Jerry

Tenex,

It appears that B&H is selling the 10X56 SLC HD at a discounted price of a bit over 2 grand. I have the FL 10X56 now and really like them for daytime terrestrial viewing. I am still curious about the SLC 10X56 for use as an astro glass, but hesitant to buy new to view, no one has it on the shelf near me, the 8X56 yes, but not the 10X. I am keeping an eye out for one used/not abused and discounted.

Andy W.

beamer:

Jerry
Speak for yourself ! :storm:

I'm a rose o:) - you can stick to the thorn gig all on your own.

I wouldn't even want the abhorrent stuff you come out with on my Akashic record let alone permanently recorded in public cyberspace.

P.S. If other people choose not to stand by in the face of such nastiness, then that's their business ! :t:

My inbox gets flooded everytime. A lot of people have their own difficult times to deal with in their life, so you are not alone - but really the only time such trials are in vain is if you let those demons control you - I wish you well.

Chosun :gh:

beamer:

Jerry

Yeah right. Telling a fine member here to 'go crawl down your hole' may seem interesting to you. "Classless" was apropos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask Lee to delete some of the above posts (you know which ones). Some people might see those posts as fairly minor stuff in the scheme of internet squabbles, but others might find them offending.

Last edited:
NDHunter, posts 15 and 29,
Up to now I find your reaction on Chosuns posts rather rude and insulting. I think that it would be proper to apologise. Chosun gives in her own often humoristic style excellent information I enjoy it and I find your response to it very unpleasant. I am surprised that the moderators of this forum let this pass.
Gijs van Ginkel

Please keep on topic, stop the playground bickering, insults and name calling, don't make me come back here ! :gn:

Steve

grand fromage forum le bird

NDHunter, posts 15 and 29,
Up to now I find your reaction on Chosuns posts rather rude and insulting. I think that it would be proper to apologise. Chosun gives in her own often humoristic style excellent information I enjoy it and I find your response to it very unpleasant. I am surprised that the moderators of this forum let this pass.
Gijs van Ginkel

Agreed, GvG.
I used some uncharacteristic nomenclature in this thread, but I found the posting towards Chosun as completely unwarranted and out of line.

This is a wonderful forum, henceforth hopefully we can all get along.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back