• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ohio (1 Viewer)

samuel walker

It's OK to be a little blue........
Hi I'll Start for the Buckeye State.
Sandy Ridge in North Ridgeville (Lorain County) is locally accepted as one of the top birding spots in NE Ohio. All types of waders swimmers,raptorsandpasarine all attracted to a very deliberate marsh area.located on Otten Rd, Off Case Rd which is found off of Center Ridge rd, (rt20) just west of Ohio 83.
Good sightings
Sam Walker

Attachments

• Piedbill grebe.JPG
    Piedbill grebe.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Ruddy Duck.jpg
    Ruddy Duck.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 395
hi to fellow buckeyes from trenton, ohio. just waiting for a break from this silly weather. love to see some migrators. have my feeders stocked, and binocs ready. im new to bf and visit sometimes. im not a photographer, but i wish i could get started. any suggestions?

I`d start with a camera, annie!

Welcome to the Forums, and looking forward to your first pictures (I still haven`t taken any!)

...and it looks like you started some time ago, Sam!

In this area of Ohio, Amish Country, there are a number of great birding areas. The Wilderness Center in Wilmot is one with a variety of habitat, etc. Another special place is the entire area around the Beach City Dam Lake and backwaters. The backwaters provides some excellent birding especially during migrations along gravel roads and side trails. The area known here as Dundee fields (east of SR 93) provides prairie species that can be found nowhere else in this part of the state. All the back roads through the woods, fields and hills of this nature loving Amish community, provides excellent birding opportunities. Bill

I'm from Central Ohio. In the winter, Blendon Woods Metro Park (in Columbus, just off 161) is home to one of the largest populations of American Black Duck in the country (possibly the only large population, as people seem surprised by their continual reports of over 100 black ducks). Near the town of Galena, there's a boardwalk on the Hoover reservoir. The surrounding area is popular breeding grounds for prothonotary warblers and osprey.

And getting a bit outside of my home area, near Marion (a good ways north of where I am), I must reccomend Big Island Wildlife Area. I have gotten seven life birds in two (non-consecutive) days there.

any Bald Eagle chasers out there in Ohio?

My folks live just 2 miles from the nest in NE Ohio which is ~600 yards from the road on Walborn reservoir. There were 2 adults in the nest as of Feb 18th.

I'm in central Ohio, and I'm looking for a place closer to COlumbus for sightings. Last year I went up to Marion, but it was quite a hike and there was no view of the nest.

The ones in Delaware at the reservoir if I recall, were not nesting there last summer.

And the ones on the NW side of town at that park I forget the name of - also not there last summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back