• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Mallard duck (1 Viewer)

help

Our front flowerbed has become home to a mother duck (Mallard ?) We noticed her on the 29th of April. She has six eggs. We have no pets at our home and our family comings and goings have never seemed to bother her. However, my three year old neice picked up one of the eggs and then put it back before her mother got to her. Will the mother duck come back because of human touch? It breaks my heart that she touched them.

Probably not, from what I read. However, I would try and convince your three-year old not to do that again since "it kills the precious life inside." or something so that she learns her lesson. Not to be mean or anything. But if the egg she picked up is abandoned before it hatches, keep an eye on it and when it does hatch, make sure you are the first living thing it sees, so that it becomes attached to you and will rely on you to feed it and protect it. I know that wild animals shouldn't be made as pets, but if the duck is abandoned, the duckling will never get to live very long. So let us know if the mother duck comes back and how she reacts to the handled egg.

BTW, if your niece had picked up one egg, she might have touched any eggs surrounding it.

Also, welcome to BirdForum! Hope you stay awhile and find this site very helpful!

It depends on several things, but I'd say it probably will take them back. Just give the mother some time off, and make sure it doesn't happen again. I have taken part in studies where we had to pick up eggs & chicks of various ducks in the genus Anas (that the Mallard also belongs to), and we never had any problems in regards of the mother taking them back afterwards. As long as it was only for a limited time she was seperated from the eggs/chicks. As said, just make sure it's a one-time occurence, and give the female some extra space the next few days. DON'T STAND AT THE DOOR WAITING FOR THE MOTHER TO GO BACK TO THE EGGS, SHE WILL BE SUSPICIOUS THEN...

You will know for sure in a few days... but luckily birds in general (a few exceptions are known) seems to depends more on sight and hearing for recognizing their chicks etc. The problem in many mammals is, that they often rely on smell, so a human touch gives away instantaneously.

If the mother doesn't return, you can do her job with artificial incubation. Without heat for an extended period the eggs will die.

Good Luck and Welcome to BirdForum!

Last edited:
Maybe you could put a seat heater (used for back pain) that plugs in to an outlet, plut it in, place the heater under the nest, and have it running for about half-hour every hour, to keep the eggs warm in case the mother comes back after a lengthy absence.

Hi 'Help' and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Admin.
I see you've already got some advice on your problem and wish you luck.
I hope you continue to use Birdforum,hopefully in more happier circumstances in the future.

Just curious - where are you in Ohio? I recently watched a pair of mallards in my daughter's neighborhood (Worthington/Dublin) checking out nesting places. She says she's never seen where they did nest. It was a cute picture (no camera) as he waddled behind her as if to say "make up your mind, Minnie"! There is a pond about 1/4 mile away that I assume they came from and to which they will return.

Amasara, I have the same thing. A pond is about less than 1/4-mile from me. Since I don't have any extra long measuring devices, I can only guess how far it is. However, I have to go down there anyway, so might as well break out the 100-foot measuring tape and see how far it is from my garage to the pond's edge.

gthang said:
Maybe you could put a seat heater (used for back pain) that plugs in to an outlet, plut it in, place the heater under the nest, and have it running for about half-hour every hour, to keep the eggs warm in case the mother comes back after a lengthy absence.
WHAT????? Please tell me you were joking.

Interesting info on mallards - makes me feel not quite so guilty that I chased a duckling down a major highway once - captured it and brought it home - housed it in an old hamster cage (to keep it safe from my cats!) only it broke its neck trying to jump free!! Later found out re: mallards and nesting away from water source and then marching the brood to the water - this one obviously got lost - I should have run the 300 ft or so to the Ohio River and thrown it in! Next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back