• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new camera (1 Viewer)

jacqui2

jacqui
Hi everyone, I have just managed to get a used e-520 to get me back to a dslr, very pleased with it so far, only got the 40-150mm lens for it, funds are pretty tight at the moment. I love photographing birds and wildlife, so I am hoping to gradually add to my lenses. I understand that it's possible to use the om lenses on this camera, with the right adapter, is that correct? if so, does anyone know any good places to buy these type of lenses? thanks, jacqui

You should find adaptors on ebay for around £5, you will not have auto focus with them and there may be problems with internal lens flare, but some people manage to get quite good results. It is worth looking for second hand sigma four thirds lenses such as the 55 - 200 that was available with a four thirds mount and also the Olympus 70 - 300.

If you have a LCE (London camera exchange) anywhere near it is worth checking them regularly for second hand four thirds lenses which they often have at fairly reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I think that a (second hand?) olympus 70-300 it is a very good option for you. In a good light you'll get acceptable quality pics with birds. This is also a good lens for macro shots (for butterflies, dragonflies etc).
Check my gallery for some shots with the combo e-520 plus 70-300 (you'll have to browse for some older pics because in the last year I've used mainly the 50-200 SWD):
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/54311

hiya, i have a e420 body... i use mainly my 150mm lens, but i also got a 500mm lens for 99 quid on ebay -- all manual. Got to say getting manual is a pain but the best thing ever. You learn more about your camera and how to get things to work, what iso works, white balance ect makes you a better in the long run.
I have finally having spent a summer ill in bed been able to save 200 odd quid for a 300mm lens and its brill though autofocus can cause some issues. Its a bit slow sometimes at focusing on items but ive got some brilliant shots..
Ebay is always good for things...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back