• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP: Need Lens Advice for Costa Rica Trip (1 Viewer)

Beth_W737

Can anyone give me advice for a lens? I have a Pentax K10D, and am going to Costa Rica in the spring (March/April), and wanted a good lens for wildlife/rain forest photos...currently have 18-55 kit lens and 50-200, but not thrilled with them...I'd been wanting a longer reach lens but am not sure whether I'd be better off getting a 400 or 500 mm lens, or a faster 2.8 lens (ie, 200 mm 2.8 or 300 mm 4). I've been looking at the Sigma 135-400 (or 120-400), 170-500 (or 150-500), Pentax 300 mm F4, Pentax 200 mm 2.8, and Sigma 70-200 F2.8. However, I'm a student and also on a limited budget, so was hoping not to spend more than $300, and at absolute most, $500, but would really require some thought to spend that. Can anyone give me some advice?

Beth

I go to Ecuador and have a Tokina 80-400 lens....I like it. First it is lighter than most other 400 lens and surely a 500. Think of how much you will be walking around and take that into consideration.

Second....when you are in the 400-500 range it is best to use a tri-pod or a mono-pod with a heavy lens. But I have found with Tokina, since it is lighter...I might not need to. When in jungle areas where birds are hard to see, behind leaves and are hyper to begin with, you won't have the time to use a tri-pod and set up shots since the foliage will just get in the way.

Where abouts in Costa Rica are you going, east or west side?

Beth,

lmans' advice is sound, since the Tokina ATX-840 is a good quality lens, and very portable compared to other 400mm lenses. Unfortunately, it is not available in a Pentax mount, as far as I know.

With a strict budget of $500, any of the lenses you mentioned will need to be found used.

Things to consider:

-For birds you'll want as much reach as you can get. Even when you have a effective 400mm lens, you'll often wish you had an 800mm. If you have an 800mm you'll find situations where even that isn't enough. But IMO, 400mm is a good minimum to aim for.

-A good quality 200 2.8 plus a 2x TC is doable, but few photographers will ever recommend a 2x TC unless you are desperate. Sticking with a 1.5x TC or less is better to preserve image quality. In that case a 300 f4 lens plus 1.4 or 1.5x TC would often be better.

-Personally, I avoid TC's altogether, but I have the luxury of not being on a student budget ;) so I was able to pick up a new 150-500 Sigma for my Canon DSLR. I am very impressed with this lens. It is heavy, but well balanced in the hand. Plus the Optical Stabilization really works, enabling me successful handheld shots at 500mm with ridiculously slow shutter speeds.

-I believe the Pentax has a 1.5x crop factor due to it's chip size, yes? A 300mm lens with that factor becomes a 450mm. Have you considered a Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 APO DG Macro? It's a well rated lens and under $200.

Hello, Im reading this thread. And I booked a flight to CR one day before the earthquake. I feel sorry for this.

So I will be in CR soon and are in doubt what to bring lens/wise like Beth does.
Ive got a 150/500 sigma lens for my Nikon d90. That I certainly will bring.
Also I do quiet a lot of digiscoping. But is it worth to bring this heavy scope (Fieldscope 82ed with FSA-L adaptor directly to camera)? Considering the light conditions and so on. Also I read somewhere that birds are less shy in CR. Is this true? I am Planning to visit Monte Verde, Tortuguero and some smaller carribean locations.

Any advise welcome, thanks

Perry

Beth et al--
Thought of this post when I read a similiar one at DPR that may be of interest...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=30734564

"...The light inside the jungle is unexpectedly dim. The picture of the Cock-of-the-rock was taken at f4, 1/50s and ISO 800. That is certainly at the dangerous side of things with a long lens, so, yes, a 400 f/2.8 will be very useful.

The problem is moving around in the jungle with such a heavy lens. Although the floor in the primary jungle is relatively clean of vegetation (not enough light), still the walks are long, hot and humid.

A good alternative are observation towers above the canopy. Many fine lodges in Ecuador have them, enormous metallic structures that allow the bird photographer to go above the tree-tops. Here only three things are needed: reach, reach and reach.

Regards,

Eduardo. ..."

You may wish to view his great images and perhaps IM Eduardo on his recommendations. While he is based in Ecuardor, Costa Rica will have similar issues/conditions...

Reach vs Weight

As Eduardo stated...
The problem is moving around in the jungle with such a heavy lens. Although the floor in the primary jungle is relatively clean of vegetation (not enough light), still the walks are long, hot and humid.

Since I too visit Ecuador often and know the wetness...the difficulty of walking in the jungle or even in a dry rain forest on the coast but is still very much uphill....the weight of a heavy lens is not worth it. I understand that my Tokina does not fit your camera but wow.....find something light weight.
If you are above the canopy...reach is crucial...so your lens will do. But if you are walking along I would look at a lighter lens, somewhere around 300 mm. Not enough 'reach' for sure but oh your back and body will appreciate after several days of walking. Costa Rica, Panama...South America...etc...are not your country roads and you simply have to keep that in mind....The picture attached is what I end up walking in all the time and you go up and down and around and slip and slide all day long.

Attachments

• Jungle 1.jpg
    Jungle 1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back