Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eastern Wood-Peewee(?) - Central Ohio, U.S.

Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 16:58   #1
prweasel

Eastern Wood-Peewee(?) - Central Ohio, U.S.

I shot this bird sitting at the top of a small tree this morning in a field in a park just north of Columbus, Ohio. Some other shots I have of it singing show that the lower beak and the inside of the upper beak are an orangish-yellow. The underside is kind of a grayish-white.

There have been several instances in the past when I thought an image was an Eastern Wood-Peewee, but someone corrects the identification to a type of Flycatcher - either Acadian, Willow or Alder.

Is this one a Wood-Peewee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070527SharWd089.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	86603  
Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 17:35   #2
Chris Benesh
So much work, so little time...so let's go birding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prweasel View Post
I shot this bird sitting at the top of a small tree this morning in a field in a park just north of Columbus, Ohio. Some other shots I have of it singing show that the lower beak and the inside of the upper beak are an orangish-yellow. The underside is kind of a grayish-white.

There have been several instances in the past when I thought an image was an Eastern Wood-Peewee, but someone corrects the identification to a type of Flycatcher - either Acadian, Willow or Alder.

Is this one a Wood-Peewee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pat
Hi Pat,

First of all, that is a terrific shot!

This one too is an Empidonax, and it is either a Willow or an Alder. The bird's structure and pattern of the wing bars rule out a wood-pewee, though Willow and Alder are the two Empidonax most routinely confused with wood-pewees.

Was it singing FITZ-bew (Willow) or f'BEE-oo (Alder)? In the links I've provided, scroll down to their sound link and have a listen:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...dtl.html#sound
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...dtl.html#sound

Both of these species give raspy, buzzy sounding songs, whereas the Eastern Wood-Pewee gives a high-pitched whistled song that is easily mimicked. You would probably remember if the bird had a loud, whistled tune.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...wee.html#sound

I guess if it were actually on territory there, that would favor a Willow Flycatcher, and visually, there is nothing wrong with its being a Willow.

Chris
visit my website

Last edited by Chris Benesh : Sunday 27th May 2007 at 17:37.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 19:07   #3
prweasel

Chris:

Thanks. At least I'm consistent with my misidentification. And thanks for the compliment on the photo.

When I was close enough to hear it over the other birds (lots of sparrows and red-winged blackbirds around) it was primarily making a one-syllable sound with its head tilted back.

I'll go ahead and call it a Willow Flycatcher when I post it to my online gallery in the next couple of days.

pat
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: