• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

I would also love to see a Goldcrest in my garden,and I envy you BFB your sightings of Waxwing . I have been looking out for them and they have been around locally but I have always missed them.:-C
It has been below freezing for over a week now, even got as low as -10.8 degrees C one night, so keeping feeders well topped up.Any tips for stopping the water freezing up constantly?

Garden busy, this morning so far the most I have seen at one time;
9 Long tt's 9 Greenfinches
5 Coal t,s 4 Chaffinch
3 Blue t's 5 Dunnock
3 Great t's 3 Robin
4 Blackbirds

Haven't seen the solitary Goldfinch today or the Siskin for some time( cancel that, 2 lovely male siskins have just appeared, 1 on the sunflower seed, 1 on the nyjer!|:d|). I also heard the GS woodpecker drumming yesterday.
I keep hoping for a Brambling

All the best for 2009!

Last edited:
Busy garden for you there Moray.

I guess as long as you break the frozen water up each morning the birds shouldnt be to hindered especially overnight.

16 Waxwings again this morning, I will try to post a pic later

Dave

Wow!

Was just going to come up here to say how boring it had been (Starlings, Greenfinch, Collared Dove)...

When out of nowhere came the most beautiful bird I have ever seen in my Garden, a Wren. The First Time I have EVER seen one!

That has made my day:D

Wonderful - there's something so special about Wrens in the garden!

My young female Blackbird is really getting territorial at the moment, is shushing all the other birds from the ground in the garden, even has a go at large groups of Starlings and the Collared Doves.

When I left for a walk this morning I saw Long-tailed Tits in a tree just a few doors up the road! Not banking on anything but who knows, there's the possibility I could have both Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits in my garden at some point!!

:D

Hey Fozzy my juv male Blackbird is freindly, comes to the back door for biscuit!!

I emptied the broken ones fronm the biscuit barrel and some dropped on the door step and I have stood there and watched it eat by my feet, its ok as long as I dont move. The robin comes and scares it away more than I do.....

Last edited:
My Blackbird is friendly to me... just not to any other critter! :)

Saw a Song Thrush on my neighbour's garage early this morning. :t:

Nice one with the Song thrush Fozzy.

If i get a Song thrush the Blackbirds (Normally the females) soon scare them off, just like your Juvy I guess.

PS
I think its about time you changed your "Newbie... be gentle", after 350+ posts your now officially a proffesional garden birder.

New Year visitors

These have been feeding voraciously in the garden each day since New Year.......................

Blackbirds - still about ten or eleven every day.
Six wood pigeons
Two pairs of collared doves
Loads of blue Tits
Coal Tits - two or three
Great Tits
Long-tailed Tits - three
Great spotted woodpecker, female - two days running on the peanut feeder
Greenfinch
Goldfinch - about five or six each day
Magpie - four
Dunnock
Bullfinch, female and male
Thrush
Chaffinches F & M
Robin
House sparrow
Starling
Black-headed gulls

Another busy garden up there in Northumberland June.......... Its nice to see what is present out and about the UK

As I posted earlier today we had some Redpoll on the feeders maybe their numbers are on the increase?

Wouldnt mind a Siskin making an appearence soon, send some down moray

I'm envious!

Another busy garden up there in Northumberland June.......... Its nice to see what is present out and about the UK

As I posted earlier today we had some Redpoll on the feeders maybe their numbers are on the increase?

Wouldnt mind a Siskin making an appearence soon, send some down moray

I am so envious of your Waxwings! Haven't seen any here at all, although there were flocks of hundreds in the Jarrow area.
In the 60s, we had sixty waxwings in the hedge opposite our house - they stripped the berries in twenty minutes!!

Redpoll - never seen one, so again, one to look out for.:t:

Some great garden lists there! I'm envious of the Waxwings too. Had some more or less right outside the door last year but nothing so far this year.

We had snow last night and the garden was incredibly busy today. The Great Spotted Woodpecker was present, but was more interested in repeatedly chasing a Collared Dove than eating anything. The Stock Dove was around as usual too - I very rarely used to get these birds in the garden but this one has been around just about every day for weeks. The Song Thrush was around too - I always know it's the same one because it has one white tail feather. Goldfinches and Chaffinches in large numbers, a few Greenfinches and Bullfinches and a Pied Wagtail too. Also Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbirds, Starlings, Carrion Crows, Magpies, Jay, Goldcrest, Starlings, Woodpigeon, a single Feral Pigeon and a passing Mistle Thrush. There's been a Grey Wagtail around in the puddles opposite the front of the house but it doesn't venture into the garden. A lone Mute Swan flew over a few days ago too, which was lovely.

Here's the Stock Dove. (And a female Blackbird for company).

Attachments

• 100_0697.jpg
    100_0697.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_0711.jpg
    100_0711.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 245
Another busy garden which is good to see.
You have a few on your garden list White kite that I would love to visit my garden, Jay, Pied Wag or any wag for that matter and a female Bullfinch would be nice also, had the male Bullfinch during christmas.

I still struggle to correctly identify (even with photos and a book) the Song / Mistle thrush. I think I have the song thrushes now and again, they look very upright and are easily scared off by the Blackbirds.

Great thread
Keep posting folks

Dave

(on leave in UK) Just had a Snipe put down outside my Kitchen window - the garden is 4 ft higher than the Kitchen floor so we looked at each other eye ball to eye ball at a distance of a few feet - unfortunately before I could get the camera out it decided I was just too much to bare and flew off

Last edited:
In our tiny garden this morning:

chaffinch (6, all male)
goldfinch (8)
siskin (4, 2 of each)
goldcrest (1)
dunnock (2)
robin (1)
song thrush (1)
blackbird (2, male)
wood pigeon (1)
collared dove (2)
magpie (1)
jackdaw (1)
starling (1)
blue tit (4)
great tit (1, female)
coal tit (1)

Also yesterday:

brambling (1, female)
wren (1)

and Saturday last:

long tailed tit (8)

Last edited:
Another busy garden which is good to see.
You have a few on your garden list White kite that I would love to visit my garden, Jay, Pied Wag or any wag for that matter and a female Bullfinch would be nice also, had the male Bullfinch during christmas.

I still struggle to correctly identify (even with photos and a book) the Song / Mistle thrush. I think I have the song thrushes now and again, they look very upright and are easily scared off by the Blackbirds.

Great thread
Keep posting folks

Dave

Had 2 Pied Wags today, word must be spreading. :-O The Song Thrush was back today as usual. I know when they're not sitting side-by-side it can be a pain to identify Songs from Mistles, upperpart colour (much colder, more grey-brown on Mistles and warm brown on Song) and size (Song slightly smaller than Blackbird, Mistle much bigger) are the main points. The spots are also a different shape, but this can be hard to see at times. I usually hear a Mistle Thrush before I see one, with their alarm call.

The Long-tailed Tits descended this afternoon (a party of about 10). I keep checking the Chaffinch flocks for Bramblings, but no luck so far!

(on leave in UK) Just had a Snipe put down outside my Kitchen window - the garden is 4 ft higher than the Kitchen floor so we looked at each other eye ball to eye ball at a distance of a few feet - unfortunately before I could get the camera out it decided I was just too much to bare and flew off

What a great garden tick! Would love a Snipe in my garden but doubt it's going to happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back