• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Grey Goose - Kingston Seymour - 15.04.17 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Anyone seen a hybrid looking like this before & have definitive parentage?

I am inclined towards Bar-headed Goose parentage on wing pattern.

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• D Hybrid Goose 01.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 01.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 62
  • D Hybrid Goose 02.JPG
    D Hybrid Goose 02.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 59
  • D Hybrid Goose 03.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 03.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • D Hybrid Goose 04.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 04.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 45
  • D Hybrid Goose 05.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 05.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21
Second set of pictures.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• D Hybrid Goose 06.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 06.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 28
  • D Hybrid Goose 07.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 07.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 52
  • D Hybrid Goose 08.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 08.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 37
  • D Hybrid Goose 10.jpg
    D Hybrid Goose 10.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 22
Pinkfoot x Whitefront??

Many thanks. That is the suggestion that I have seen for this bird at another site where it has been seen so that may well be the answer. I just wasn't convinced that it would explain the predominant wing pattern (and we have several other apparently Bar-headed Goose influenced birds around).

All the best

You might want to PM Joern Lehmhus in case he doesn't find this thread. He's very much into bird hybrids...

Thanks Paul for your PM .

This is really an interesting bird and I think there are bar-headed goose genes in this bird. I have seen similar crosses Barheaded x Greater whitefront with similar wing and body pattern and coloration , only the bare part coloration differed.
I am not sure if there isn´t a third species involved?

You metioned other photos somewhere else...Can you provide links to other photos ? I´d be very happy to see a closeup photograph of that one!

Best regards, Jörn

Last edited:
Joern

Photo from a nearby site a week or so ago here:-

http://avonbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/14-4-18-saturday-warblers.html?m=1

All the best

Hello Paul, yes this definitely has Barheaded goose blood, the long and broad tertials and greater coverts indicate this, as well as the black nail. But if assuming Greater whitefront is the other parent, why then pinkish legs(one should expect orange legs in this cross, as both parents have orange legs)
There are also some presumed greylag x greater whitefront crosses with pinkish legs, but I am not sure if this is any help in explaining that bird

The white on the face is likely to come from the Bar-headed parent, as in this Bar-headed x Swan Goose: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/swan-goose-x-bar-headed-goose.html so I don't think another parent with white markings is needed. There is a family of Bar-headed x Greater White-fronted geese in St James's Park in London (F1 and backcrosses to Bar-headed) which I have seen a few times and they have orange/yellowish bill and legs similar to pure Bar-headed, so it would make sense for the other parent of this to be a goose with pink bill and legs.

The white on the face is likely to come from the Bar-headed parent, as in this Bar-headed x Swan Goose: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/swan-goose-x-bar-headed-goose.html so I don't think another parent with white markings is needed. There is a family of Bar-headed x Greater White-fronted geese in St James's Park in London (F1 and backcrosses to Bar-headed) which I have seen a few times and they have orange/yellowish bill and legs similar to pure Bar-headed, so it would make sense for the other parent of this to be a goose with pink bill and legs.

agree that the white is from the barheaded parent. I cannot say if pinkfoot is the other parent or not. There are no other pinkfooted goose hybrids to compare with.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back