• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead bat in Barbados (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Unfortunately, this little guy was found dead in our swimming pool. It was still very wet when I took the photos, so there is no way to know if the white underfur would have been covered in black in the way I assume it would. I turned it around and took three photos. Notice the long tail. Anyone can tell which species this likely is?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Dead bat 1a P1150197.jpg
    Dead bat 1a P1150197.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Dead bat 1b P1150200.jpg
    Dead bat 1b P1150200.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Dead bat 1c P1150203.jpg
    Dead bat 1c P1150203.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 16
I have no references to hand, but it's certainly one of the free-tailed bats. Not sure how many species occur in Barbados but you should be able to narrow it down to a few species at least.

Edit: After a very quick google search, I would suggest the species is Molossus molossus.

Last edited:
I have no references to hand, but it's certainly one of the free-tailed bats. Not sure how many species occur in Barbados but you should be able to narrow it down to a few species at least.

Edit: After a very quick google search, I would suggest the species is Molossus molossus.

Agree with this. It's a species of Molossidae for sure, and within that family only Molossus molossus is present in Barbados (where only 6 bat species are known: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256535577_Bats_of_Barbados)

They are supposed to be pretty good swimmers so I'm wondering if it collided with something and then landed in the pool. Poor thing.

Thanks KC. The good thing is that it is not an everyday event. We have been in this house around 9 months, and this is first time.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back