• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head Opinions: Sirui VH-10 vs Gitzo GH1720 (1 Viewer)

FWIW, I have the Sirui VA-5, and dismayed at the cost of additional Sirui QR plates, called BHPhoto or other alternatives. According the their salesman, this Sirui head is compatible with Acra-style QR plates and directed me to several alternatives. I have yet to purchase one and try it out in person, however.

FWIW, I have the Sirui VA-5, and dismayed at the cost of additional Sirui QR plates, called BHPhoto or other alternatives. According the their salesman, this Sirui head is compatible with Acra-style QR plates and directed me to several alternatives. I have yet to purchase one and try it out in person, however.

Well, whichever Arca type plate you get, make sure that it has a lip or pin that prevents it from being able to rotate on your scope.

--AP

Hello
finally I decided to open and dismantle my GH1720qr Gitzo head trying to restore it on my own.
I had to apply a new coat of lubricating solid grease (PTFE type), removing the pristine and sticky one chiefly at the base of the pan mechanism.
I applied this solid grease on the inner parts I got to have access to, whilst I dropped a bit of special lubricating oil on the tilt mechanism.
This treatment resulted in a much smoother pan-tilt movements, giving a perfect and balanced degree of fluidity in both axes.
No more unwanted rigidity and effort when I use the 15x56 Vortex Kaibab on this head.
That's all for the moment!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back