• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small alpine bird, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

Gary Clark

The attached poor photos were captured from video. They are of a small, active, ground-dwelling bird and were taken at an elevation of 12,443ft (3800m.) on the southern slope of Kilimanjaro. The bird was very tame, and flitted close to the ground from rock to rock. We never saw him perch on a branch, but it is possible he does. Colors seem to be slaty-brown on the back, buff on undersides, and note the second image showing white on the tail when he flared it.

Thanks in advance if you can point me to anything - I'm a complete beginner with African birds, and had little expertise as a birder at all when I took this video. I was intent on climbing the mountain, not on birding (unfortunately)

Attachments

• tanz_0.jpg
    tanz_0.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 89
  • tanz_1.jpg
    tanz_1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 89
  • tanz_2.jpg
    tanz_2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 104
  • tanz_3.jpg
    tanz_3.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 87
  • tanz_5.jpg
    tanz_5.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back