• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed plover have a metal ring (1 Viewer)

kihyun

South Korea
Hi, everyone.
Last week was a Korean holliday.
So, I was birding with my friend at Gangreung city.
Two Ringed Plover has a metal ring.
The one is left leg and the other is right.

I cannot read characters because of long distance.

Is there anyone knows where and who attatched metal ring ?

Please help me......
Your help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_3322-1.jpg
    DSC_3322-1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_3256-1.jpg
    DSC_3256-1.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 70
These types of rings, also known as bands, are generally used by scientists for a variety of reasons. Generally, they are used to track the success and/or distribution of birds in a specific region. Ringers or banders (the people who capture the birds and attach the metal ring) require government issued permits. Often, the metal rings are provided by the government; each ring has a unique number and they all get enter into a huge, generally a nation-wide, data base. Sometimes you may see birds with a combination of different colored rings in addition to the metal ring. These rings, known as "field-readable rings", are used for specific populations of birds that are being studied intensively, as these rings allow researchers to easily determine who an individual bird is without taking the time to capture it (as each individual bird is given a unique combination of colored rings). Hope this helps!

This may be of help taken from the following website, you could try email the person named and see if they might be of help, most of the pople that do organise bird ringing are always interested to see where and when they turn up.
http://www.wetlands.org/Whatwedo/Bi...gSchemesinAsiaPacific/tabid/1697/Default.aspx
Republic of Korea

Korean Bird Banding Centre, National Institute of Environmental Research
Kyongseodong, Incheon 404-708, Republic of Korea
Tel +82-32-560-7452 Fax: +82-32-567-4102[FONT=굴림]Dr. Kim, Hwa-Jung[/FONT]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back