• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strontian Black Duck (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the infamous Strontian Black duck ?

Planning a trip to Mull in May and was hoping for another crack at it having dipped it last year, but there does not seem to be any news of it since sometime around the end of September last year.

I know it often goes AWOL and was wondering if this is normal or if it has finally met its end or simply a case of nobody out looking for it?

I'd say its elusiveness/absence is normal. When I nailed it in 2017 one reason I went was that it was uncharacteristically available for a long period. But it must be getting on a bit?

John

Present since June 2011; last reported 20th September 2017.

I thought I read somewhere it first arrived in 2007. based on the assumption that, like most vagrants, it was a relatively young bird, that would age it at around 10-12 years old.

Average lifespan for similar species is around 8 years, but that takes into account the high mortality rate in the first couple of years, and individuals can often live for 20 years.

Still it has been knocking around for a while so I presume the chances of getting a decent crack at it reduce year on year so fingers crossed.

I thought I read somewhere it first arrived in 2007. based on the assumption that, like most vagrants, it was a relatively young bird, that would age it at around 10-12 years old.

I was the finder of this bird in June 2011. Based on the fact that at that time it was with a hybrid Black/Mallard, the bird had clearly been there for at least one previous breeding season. Photo taken June 2011

Martyn

Attachments

• Black-Duck-2.1.jpg
    Black-Duck-2.1.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 137
I was the finder of this bird in June 2011. Based on the fact that at that time it was with a hybrid Black/Mallard, the bird had clearly been there for at least one previous breeding season. Photo taken June 2011

Martyn

I stand corrected. As I said I only thought I had read that somewhere but always happy to be informed of the full facts. :t: . A great discovery, and as you say it must have been there for at least a year to have raised a hybrid youngster which just goes to show what an elusive blighter it can be and would still age it at around 8 years old.

There was a male Black Duck at Loch Sunart on two dates in June 2007; probably impossible to ascertain if they are one and the same.

There was a male Black Duck at Loch Sunart on two dates in June 2007; probably impossible to ascertain if they are one and the same.

That's what I must have seen and put 2 & 2 together to make 5.

Still, considering that much of Loch Sunart is not visible except by boat, there is a distinct possibility that it could indeed have been the same bird which eventually settled down around Strontian. I suppose we will never really know

Last April it seemed to be hanging around with a male mallard companion on the shore midway between the Post Office and the War Memorial.

In answer to my own question there appears to have been a sighting on Saturday (17 March). so it seems that it is still alive and kicking.:t:

Tried on sunday 18th and failed think it was 10th March it was seen but not reported know it was also dipped at beginning of this week

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back