• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (45 Viewers)

My four day Norfolk goose break produced eight grey-collared Pink-feet (only two of which I had seen before), a blue-collared Pink-foot (presumably from Denmark), a colour-ringed Brent, a Tundra Bean Goose, and the Ross's Goose - so not bad.

Awful driving back from Holkham to Hunstanton on Thursday evening though.

Big surprise at the last minute - having just driven round a slushy Wolferton Triangle yesterday afternoon had just got up to 60mph on the main road towards Kings Lynn when a Great Grey Shrike on wires over the road by Whaley Farm, Babbingley caused me to slow down again very quickly.

Steve

Glad your trip was productive Steve, and well done with the Great Grey Shrike!

Bates Wood ringing this morning; we trapped a Marsh Tit which was very nice (my first) among Blues, Greats, 5 Long-taileds and the odd Robin and Blackbird. Hopefully as good if not better tomorrow! Could do with a few finches, although they are rather scarce in the wood at the moment...
Just a reminder that the ringing is from 9am-noon tomorrow if anyone is interested...

Last edited:
Bittern at Bawburgh Lakes this afternoon - only my second in the patch, the last being one at UEA in '94! Also Smew still at Whitlingham and Bittern & Smew at my work patch (Nunnery Lakes) on Friday. Seems to be the only birds I can find these days.....

Birding on the bus!!!

Started at Holkham Park to try and see a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Didn't see one but possible heard one drumming not much else Goldeneye on the lake.

Moved onto Cley didn't walk round the reserve done my bird watching from the cafe. I saw Marsh Harrier, Stonechat and 15+ Avocet.

Then went to Titchwell but on the way I saw a large group of Pink Feet near Gun Hill I think.At Titchwell on the sea a male Red Breasted Merganser. 3 to 4 Marsh Harriers came into roost.

Robert
http://robertsnorfolkbirding.blogspot.com/

Thanks James. I might give the place another go this afternoon.

Incidentally, after we failed to get parked at Strumpshaw I thought I would try to find Brundall Church Reserve (I think that's what it's called) but as I didn't really know where it was, apart from near the station, I failed at that one too. Has anyone got any directions to get to that reserve, please?

Ron

http://www.broadland.gov.uk/Brundall_Church_Fen_Local_Nature_Reserve.pdf

You have to follow the footpath past the church of st lawrence all the way down to the railway crossing, then take the path off to the right. From here you can take the board walk through the reedbed/swamp and get a rather nice view of the river! Best birds here will probably be in the swampy area, great area for warblers and insects nearer to spring and summer!!

Matt

Attachments

• gam_ordsvywat-sun-172235369242.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-172235369242.png
    72 KB · Views: 61
  • brundall & strumpshaw 040 (Custom).jpg
    brundall & strumpshaw 040 (Custom).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 43
A reasonably productive day all things considered, with a Pale-bellied Brent Goose along the beach at Holme and then saw the Black-necked Grebe at the end of Gypsy Lane, Titchwell, late afternoon. More details on my site soon.

Also a rather immaculate Lesser White-fronted Goose on Redwell Marsh NOA - unfortunately with Greylags and Canadas rather than Pink-footed Geese... (and unfortunately not a White-front as reported a few days ago, which would have been a Holme tick for me...)

Last edited:
James - I've just messaged you about access to Bawburgh, with the telephone number of person to contact.

Steve - glad you had a productive goose session in Norfolk. Good work with the shrike!

all - intending to revamp the website soon, but with changed emphasis as I will be moving to Cornwall in just over a month! Look out for tails of finds from the Lizard and Falmouth area instead. It's been nice talking Norfolk birds with many of you and I'll miss the Norfolk birding, but the pull of those Dendroica-filled valleys and a job that allows more birding time, proved too much of a pull in the end.

Josh, we should catch-up for a pint before I go. PM me and we'll hatch a plan.

Arrived Holme NOA carpark at 9.20am in time for the 9.26am 7.4 High Tide.

Straight over to NOA Holme Bird Observatory seawatching point and counted 70+ Sanderlings along the shore. 7 Red Throated Divers sitting on the sea. 8 Common scooter going west, 2 red breasted mergansers going west, 150 oystercatchers, 27 brent geese going west, 3 grey plover on shore along with 1 ringed plover. 8 linnets on tide line, 27 redshank on shore, 3 meadow pipits, 1 Long tailed Duck going west and another 4 Long Tailed Duck later sitting on sea from main beach gap at Holme when I bumped into Connor. A text from from another birder encouraged me to walk up the beach to see 47 Snowbunting, but alas due to massive amounts of yuppies in posh wellies and tons of loose dogs flying about in all directions, understandably there was no sign of 1 snowbunting let alone 47!!!!!!!!! Quite an amusing incident occurred in the morning, whilst walking on the beach I was moaning to Connor on the phone about the masses of dogs everywhere as a whole load of people with dogs were approaching me (obviously they heard my conversation) After I finished my conversation and they passed me a man said, 'you would have a fantastic time birdwatching if it wasn't for all these people wouldn't you?' and I looked him straight in the eye and said 'you are dead right there'!;) I don't think he expected me to be quite so direct!!!!!!!!!!!! He did not reply back I hasten to add!!!!!!!!!!!! People were shouting loudly and whistling for runaway dogs and at this point I just wanted to run!!!!!! Anyway after bumping into Connor we both walked back through golf course and to River Hun bridge and followed the very muddy slippery path through to Redwell Marsh Hide. I am usually very sure footed BUT there was one particular dip in the path which caught me out and I went flying and as I scrambled up I could see I had a new pair of coloured brown;) trousers:-O:-O!!!!!!!!!! Continuing on the hide we saw a Lesser White Fronted Goose first of all on the water and then flew across the other side onto the marsh, 60+ Curlews, loads of Greylags, Brent Geese, Pinkfeets and Canadas and a great spotted woodpecker was heard.

Walking back down the Firs Road we saw kestrel, pair of stonechat half way down and 3 marsh harriers circling round in the blue skies over NOA carpark. Someone else also tripped up on NOA carpark!!!!!!;) 220+ woodpigeons flew west.

The NOA are doing LOADS of work at the observatory, it all looks brilliant, with new wheelchair ramp around the side of bank which has created a new part to walk round - should be good for viewing pied flys!, new boardwalk to carpark hide, new hide at end of bank and the existing one moved to centre of the main bank, new boardwalk there too, new steps down to observatory area, and a wheelchair slope and rails next to observatory - all looks very good.:t: Water Rail squealing by broadwater. Tons of pinkfeets plummeted down onto Holme Marsh.

I was on the NOA bank trying to photograph a pheasant balanced on top of seabuckthorn when something very interesting came up on the pager! Black Necked Grebe at Gypsy Lane, Titchwell on Sea Pool (at end of the path) - asked Connor if he wanted a lift (which of course he did;)!) and OFF we went, just about parked and walked as fast as we could to have fantastic views of the Black Necked Grebe from 4.30pm until 4.45pm along with another BF member;) and then we turned back to go to Brancaster Staithe area to try and find Twite, but too late and too dark. Excellent end to the day.:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Matt. Many thanks for the information on the Brundall reserve. I will give it a look sometime.

Strumpshaw was a lot quieter today as the Penduline Tit hadn't been seen since Tuesday. It was a bit quiet on the bird front too but we enjoyed watching good flocks of Fieldfares and Redwings on the marshes near Buckenham station and also caught a glimpse of a Bullfinch in the woods near the reception. I have had trouble finding any of these recently. It was also good to see a Barn Owl hunting over the reeds in front of the Fen hide as the sun was setting. I hadn't seen any at Strumpshaw for a while. There were also three Marsh Harriers cruising about over the reeds in the evening.

Ron

Diving duck bonanza in the broads today with 5 Aythya species almost in the same scope view!

Also nearby: an Iceland Gull, a Mealy Redpoll, 25 Bewick's Swans and another cracking view of a Bittern.

Good to go birding in the eastern hinterlands away from the pagering masses, and still see some good uns...

Last edited:
Diving duck bonanza in the broads today with 5 Aythya species almost in the same scope view!

Also nearby: an Iceland Gull, a Mealy Redpoll, 25 Bewick's Swans and another cracking view of a Bittern.

Good to go birding in the eastern hinterlands away from the pagering masses, and still see some good uns...

There's only 6 Aythya ducks on the county list! Which one didn't you see?

James

I guessed as much! Sounds like you had a great day. And yes, Lesser Scaup is looonnng overdue...

James

Last edited:
Another fairly slow day at Holme, but with a few glimmers of quality, most notably a male Lapland Bunting on the fields at Thornham though elusive and a Long-tailed Duck west

Had a bit of a chase round after the Cattle Egret this morning, finally connected at West Beckham (now playing in the Milan derby of course).

I had resisted the dipper in favour of 'local' birding until today, but en route to the coast I called in for a look. Nice spot, obviously no sign. Barn Owl hunting and Siskin flock over.

Wells pitch and putt course held one Black Brant and a couple of hybrids (I think). How much variation is there within Brants? Found all the geese rather tricky.

Finally, Black Necked Grebe Gypsy Lane. Stonking views of bird fishing in the dyke right alongside the track, great stuff!

My obligatory visit to the north coast done for another few months. Phew! Half term week, massive brecklands based plans afoot......will keep the thread informed.

Best of luck in Cornwall Ilya.

Cheers,
Jim

Watched a lovely grey wagtail at King's Lynn Docks this morning in the pouring rain.

Went to look at Little Thornage Ford and Letheringsett bridge for the dipper but no luck.

Trundled over to West Beckham this morning and had rubbish views of the Cattle Egret (1pm) to begin with (could just see its head in very far distance below muddy ploughed soil, but after moving round to another road had brilliant views of it flying with gulls following a tractor. Got some record flight shots too!

7 Red throated divers flew west at Sheringham Shelters and turnstone were feeding on the beach and by the shelters. (only had a quick stop here)

On fields just after Sheringham a massive flock of Chaffinches, about 200+

Moved over to the coast and FINALLY got to see the Glaucous Gull on the beach at Cley coastguards - poor thing, looked very sorry for itself with wing dragging!

Moved onto Brancaster for Twite, but no luck, although did see a sparrowhawk.

Also heard a tawny owl at Brancaster and a very weird noise I have never heard before (sounded owl like;)), so now going to listen to owls calls on net to see what it was I heard!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back