• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

I'll be there at dawn tomorrow. Pied Wheatear is one of my biggest bogey birds - they always go before I can get to them - so the chances of it being there tomorrow are slim in the extreme. Sorry to anyone else who goes!

Andy

I don't know why I bothered really... as predicted. One Snow Bunting on the path was the highlight.

Andy

You have got to be in it to win it, so it was worth going - you definitely wouldn't have seen it if you didn't even go!

You have got to be in it to win it, so it was worth going - you definitely wouldn't have seen it if you didn't even go!

And I'll be back there tomorrow probably, with 5 hours spare whilst the boys go sailing on Filby Broad (rather them than me), so plenty of time to find that lurking White's Thrush...

Titchwell October 16th

Today's highlights

Grey phalarope - 1 on fresh marsh until ca 4pm
Shorelark - 2 on brackish marsh, 4 at Thornham Point
Snow bunting - 12 on beach
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh from Island Hide
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh (3 roosted last night)
Manx shearwater - 8 offshore
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Starling - at least 50,000 roosted last night

Paul

Some amazing totals from Sheringham and Cley today, as per RBA.
Finished work early so headed to Horsey in hope of the Wheatear. No luck on that front, but as I arrived a Pomarine Skua flew over my head across the carpark! Followed it as far as I could, it appeared to reorientate back towards the sea.
Golden Plover in almost every field around Waxham and Horsey, I grilled as many as I could whilst avoiding being blown over. At least 15 Turnstone in with the flocks. A single Fieldfare was in with a Starling flock.
Walked the Marrams at Sea Palling, and more Skua action, this time a Bonxie. Heading South this time, again it managed to push out to sea distantly. Absolutely cracking stuff. Well chuffed for under 2 hours in the field, cant wait til tomorrow. Where to start?
Cheers,
Jim.

Rubbish, horrible, AWFUL day at work - a young girl in my Physio/Occupational Health team was killed this morning in a car accident on the Lynn bypass:-C:-C:-C

Garage got me a set of wheels to borrow today which will come in handy for my day's off! Immediately flew to Titchwell and at 6pm watched 2 Shorelarks on the brackish marsh with surfbirds year lister John Hodgkins (nice to meet you) - we both then walked up to the sea where 2 Snowbuntings errupted from the tide line - which was only a few feet away from the viewing platform and the sea was ferocious to say the least! Could not hold the scope still, really strong winds and the waves were rolling in!!!:eek!: Male and 3 female eider flew west close by and a group of sanderling scuttled along the shore. Very dark now, didn't see anything else. Awesome sight of thousands of starlings swirling round and landed on the islands and then took off again and went to roost in the reeds.

Good birding tomorrow everyone!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
That's not fair Rob, how come we don't get to see them ?!!
I had to leave around 9.30 just as the birds started to pile through
I would be very interested in the totals as I'm sue others would be
I saw a couple of poms in a very short sea watch around 11 from the coast guards and could still see a couple of bonxies from the cley reserve centre ! at 2pm
cheers
Stuart

I saw both veery and swainson's tonight, damn good norfolk ticks !

Could anyone shed more light on these for me? I don't have a pager, so my info was limited to BirdGuides possible Veery at 2:30, so I was surprised to here that a Veery and Swainson's Thrush were present in the evening. Likewise, if they weren't reported then, are they still present now?! (PM if necessary). Any info greatly received!

James

That's not fair Rob, how come we don't get to see them ?!!
Stuart

Hi Stuart,
Its not an attempt to supress info but i had recieved a P.M from Josh earlier concerning other things so i just replied to that & put the counts in with it as well. I also had to leave earlier than i would haver liked so i`ve had to collate numbers via personals obs, sample counts & other peoples totals. I did get back for 3pm but then heard a whisper about a Catharus thrush so thought i had best leave again. To shed some light on the record what happened was that a birder was walking the area with his wife when he flushed a small thrush from the path. he immediately recognised it as a "Yankee", having birded that continent before, but did`nt get too much on it. About an hour later several of use searched the area but to no avail. Having had a chance to take in what little he had seen on the bird the original observer came to the conclusion that it was probably a Veery. Now you all know as much as i do, apart from the cobbled together Sheringham totals for yesterday, which were.
B.T.Diver 2, Balearic S/Water 2, Manx 60+, Sooty 4, Pom Skua 11, A.Skua 13, Bonxie 130+, L.T.Skua 3, Little Gull 1200+, Kittiwake 1500+, Auk sp. 2500+, Puffin 2, A.Tern 4, plus lesser numbers of wildfowl. Couldnt come up with a meaningful figure for Gannets though.

Highlight of a sewatch at Cley this morning was a close-in Leach's Petrel. We just managed to put everyone onto it (including the inevitable person who was looking anywhere but and refused to move his scope round despite being told that the bird was 45 degrees away from where he was looking) when the petrel was attaked by a pale-phase pom skua comple with full tails - a fantastic double whammy and one that I don't expect to see again.

Also managed three little auks, three long-tailed ducks, a prolonged flypast from a peregrine, great northern and red throated divers, 2 goldeneyes, a few mergansers, velvet scoters and reasonable nos. of auks and gannets.

Gordon

A rather tardy Jack

A couple of one of the recent Jack Snipe, from the Fen Hide at Titchwell.

The delay is because of all sorts of PC and internet problems, still not adequately resolved. BT has a lot to answer for !

Coupled with a (medical) virus and other digital (toe!) and dental emergencies, I haven't had a good time of it recently.

'Our' West Runton site saw off most of the bird observatories last weekend, with its list of species- some of which even I managed.

No news, as yet, on the change of ownership.

Attachments

• P1000286pse.jpg
    P1000286pse.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P1000314pse!.jpg
    P1000314pse!.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 81
Had a great day at titchwell today managed to see the Grey Phalarope, Jack Snipe, Shorelark x2, c.42 Snow Bunts, Little Stints, 1 ringtail Hen Harrier, Yellow Wag, Water Rail and 7 Grey Partridges.

Rob

Sheringham Seawatching 6.30am to 12.00pm

Arrived Sheringham and sat in the shelters at 6.30am with Justin L. Andy W. and Dave A. Shelters filled up by sunrise (ish!). Also Sue, Paul, Stuart, Dave H. and other familiar faces but don't know names!

Freezing cold first thing in the dark - complete madness!!! Justin was on top form with banter which kept us all going!

Made cheese scones last night for bribes;)!!! Anyone that got me a year tick, got a scone!!!! Justin and Dave both got a scone!!!!;)

Just tallied up birds seen by me only - there were much bigger numbers than this and I didn't count all the gannets/cormorants but here is my list:

1 Shag at 7.40 east, 1 Great Northern Diver east at 7.50am, 2 Bonxies, 90 Gannets, 51 Common Scoter, 22 Kittiwakes, 5 Red Throated Divers, 3 Eiders, 10 Brent Geese, 2 Fulmars, 2 Curlews west, 1 Scaup, 4 Red Breasted Mergansers, 9 Cormorants, 1 Long Tailed Duck, 1 Manx Shearwater. 1 Owl flew on off sea east at 9.40am above horizon either short or long eared, Little Auk at 9.45am east and another one at 10.58am (thanks Dave:t:) and a cracking Pom Skua with spoons VERY close in going east at 11.15am.

Justin and Andy left to go to Minsmere - I stayed until 12pm - bored now! Sea virtually empty! Put stuff back in car and walked back down with camera to photograph the Purple Sandpiper which obviously had been flushed by the now increasing people and dogs as all I saw were turnstones!

West Runton

Spent alot of time east of the farm buildings searching for a Richard's Pipit or/and lapland bunting or possible a black guillemot but no luck with any of them. Watched a male kestrel hovering in the wind over the cliffs, lots of cormorants down on the beach, lots of skylarks about in the long grass. Hedge sparrow and blackbird around the farm buildings. No sign of the short toed lark when I spent time round the stubble field but to be really honest I felt absolutely shattered and did not look very hard really, gave up and moved on.

Walsey Hills

I had a lovely Stonechat by the back of the willows at the end of the path, but nothing much else.

Cley Coastguards

Spent the evening here which was very unproductive until Eddie M. came along and sharply picked out a Med Gull and an Arctic Tern - dark now time to go home!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back