• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (8 Viewers)

I'm sure the weather will have brought some stuff in today/last night, but conditions were making seeing stuff quite tricky. There were 8 wheatears in the walled garden, several of which were good northwestern birds. Also a blackcap at the battery, and a peregrine over the allotments.

some migrants in today, but again, conditions making it difficult. A male ring ouzel was at the sycamore, a redwing was in the 'new' cover planted between the allotments and the battery, and two blackcaps were at the battery.

Wind was making things very difficult this evening. So difficult I only managed to see two migrants. Happy days though, as one was a wryneck on the south bank (it flushed towards the steep burnt bit behind the green shed - I left it there as I didn't want to flush it again). The other was an exceedingly handsome male redstart in the allotments. With the ring ouzel at lunchtime, I think that has to be one of my most enjoyable spring days birding at the ness...

some migrants in today, but again, conditions making it difficult. A male ring ouzel was at the sycamore, a redwing was in the 'new' cover planted between the allotments and the battery, and two blackcaps were at the battery.

I like the idea that that bit still counts as 'new' cover! Assuming it's the patch that was pretty new when I left Aberdeen, it must be at least thirteen years old now!

Despite the best efforts of myself and Teamscotch, we couldn't relocate the wryneck this morning, or any of yesterdays other migrants for that matter. Only migs around were 10 wheatear, and a few song thrush and robin. Bit of a contrast to yesterday....

I stopped to look at the burnt patch opposite the Nigg Bay car park tonight...more out of hope then expectation. To my great surprise the Wryneck flew in from the slope to the right of the burnt area and showed wonderfully for about 5 minutes at 17.25. I lost it, I think it may have popped over the top of the bank. First spring bird ever for me!

I bumped into Andrew at the allotments on the way home, so I ticked off both the regulars today having met Mark for the first time this morning. Nice to meet you fellas!

Good to meet you earlier today and thanks for the tip off. Sadly I didn't manage to find the Wryneck, although I'm sure it was lurking about somewhere over there.

My best bird was an Iceland Gull, which was in the throng of gulls around the harbour mouth for a minute or two. Either a first or second winter. Not too much else besides at least four Wheatears, a Buzzard over the golf course, two Teal north, seven Red-throated Divers and eight Long-tailed Ducks in Nigg Bay.

A look around the South Bank did not produce the Wryneck this morning, although I far from expected to see it what have the good conditions last night. There was very little in the way of any migrants; 2 Willow Warblers and a Swallow around the South Bank, and just 3 Wheatears in the walled garden. Nigg Bay held 11 Red-throated Divers, the most I've had in the bay and including a number of nice summer plumaged individuals. A group of 45+ Sandwich Terns were on the rocks at Greyhope Bay but apart from that there wasn't much else.

Joseph

I had quite a pleasant wander around this morning, but there was no sign of the Wryneck and I didn't see the two Ring Ouzels that others saw this morning either. Best birds were a rather smart White Wagtail on the shore by the sycamore tree and a Whimbrel on the concrete pier below the Coo. Other stuff included five Wheatears, four Long-tailed Ducks in Nigg Bay, with a drake also still in the harbour, and two Willow Warblers, a Chiffchaff and a Reed Bunting around the waterworks. It's odd to still feel obliged to mention Swallows in late April - I managed about five today, which is the most of seen this year.

Seawatched off the foghorn 7ish-8.15 this morning. Loads of stuff moving, much distant. In particular more fulmars on the move then I have seen previously.

Several flocks of geese went N very distantly, couldn't ID them. Other interesting birds: 1 Little Tern which arrived from the S then fished off the foghorn for a while. 5 Common and 2 Velvet Scoters, the velvets pitching down off the foghorn. I also watched a Carrion Crow arrive in off, picked it up several miles out to sea and followed it to landfall at Nigg Bay. It *may* have come from one of the big tankers passing.

3 Wheatears in Walker Park.

I had suspected that the rooks I had seen coming in off might have been doing the same.

It was a bit quieter by the time I got out. Best I could manage offshore were 2 northbound wigeon and a single bonxie.

Seawatched off the foghorn 7ish-8.15 this morning. Loads of stuff moving, much distant. In particular more fulmars on the move then I have seen previously.

Several flocks of geese went N very distantly, couldn't ID them. Other interesting birds: 1 Little Tern which arrived from the S then fished off the foghorn for a while. 5 Common and 2 Velvet Scoters, the velvets pitching down off the foghorn. I also watched a Carrion Crow arrive in off, picked it up several miles out to sea and followed it to landfall at Nigg Bay. It *may* have come from one of the big tankers passing.

3 Wheatears in Walker Park.

Little Tern is a very good bird at Girdle Ness. In fact, after the Wryneck, it's the second bird you've seen in the past three days that I've never seen here! Probably should have done by now though.

I didn't see too much today. There were more-or-less no migrants apart from a single Wheatear and a Willow Warbler. Three Long-tailed Ducks were in the harbour and another two were in Nigg Bay, where there were also eight Red-throated Divers. A Bonxie and fourteen Common Scoters went north off the Coo.

Little Tern is a very good bird at Girdle Ness. In fact, after the Wryneck, it's the second bird you've seen in the past three days that I've never seen here! Probably should have done by now though.

Didn't realise that at the time...that's quite surprising, as I think they are pretty regular off Donmouth? We need something nailed down for all to enjoy ;-).

Had a wander round early evening today. Still very cool up here. I managed to get myself on the Ring Ouzel Scoresheet with a very flighty bird on the south bank. The only other migrants around were the numerous Wheatears - 15 in all. Offshore three Tufted Ducks and a Bonxie went north.

Anyone know anything about the Mandarin reported in the harbour today?

I think we probably had the same ring ouzel this afternoon. Not much else to report apart from a total of 27 wheatears, a lot of them looking affy northwestern, and a single collared dove in the allotments. In terms of greater Torry collared dove is not of much interest but a bird at the ness itself is quite uncommon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back