• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (17 Viewers)

I spent more or less the entire day at The Ness by foot. Estimated I was there from 11:30-6:30, considerably prolonged by meeting up with Mark mid-afternoon and doing another whole round of the Ness with him. It was fantastic to see the Osprey heading northwards at Greyhope Bay late on, the highlight of the day.

A House Martin hawked the golf course by the allotments when I arrived, whilst a drake Goosander was in the harbour, and a female there later on. Like Andrew, I found that nothing much at all was happening on the mig front. 3 Whitethroats were spread out, as were 2 Sedge Warblers but these have obviously been around for some time now. 11 Wheatears were in the walled garden early afternoon and another was flushed from the South Bank. Mark and I had a Goldcrest in a clump of bushes by the road relatively near the allotments; about the only genuine passerine mig of the day!

Offshore action was similar to Andrew but I seemed to miss out on the majority of the shearwater action, with only 2 very distant Manxies off the Coo from 14:00-14:30. Hundreds of Kittiwakes and auks were passing in close offshore although no Puffins were involved during my stint, whilst a steady passage of Gannet was going on further out.

I also caught up with the Tern and Purple Sandpiper action at Greyhope Bay. When I was first there at around 13:00 25+ Purple Sandpipers were present, including one colour ringed bird, presumably local, as was the sumplum Dunlin. Around 50 Common Terns were on the rocks here amongst a few Arctic Terns and around 20 Sandwich Terns (including a couple of colour ringed ones), but this dwindled later. I became intrigued by a noticeably dark billed tern which was most likely an abnormally dark billed Common but is continuing to nag me a little as a possible Roseate on feature such as uniform paleness of the upperparts and underparts and bill length/colour which were all striking in the field. It is rubbishly pictured below. Later checks did not reveal the bird in question.

Overall a really pleasant day's birding at the Ness and thank you Mark for the company, it was a pleasure to bird with you this evening.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Bit quiet at the Ness this afternoon. I spent a while looking at the terns but didn't even manage any Arctics! A Red-breasted Merganser and two Goosander were on the river and fifteen Common Scoters went north. Around six Wheatears were dotted about and three Purple Sandpipers were on Greyhope Bay. That's about it though.

Nothing glamorous this morning like shrikes or RB flys unfortunately. The only mig I could conjure up was a spotted fly, my first spring record.

I flushed a (the?) short eared owl off the south bank this morning. Also, at one point, I think I might have seen my hand in front of my face.

I had an early morning potter around the allotments and battery this morning. Birding in a t-shirt and shorts at 5.30 in the morning is defo the way ahead!

Didn't see much - 2 Shelducks flying around the river mouth the highlight.

Also had a wander around Tullos Hill, my first this month. A pair of Stock Dove near the summit were only my second sighting here after birds in April, maybe I overlooked them before. Plenty of Sedge Warblers, Willow Warblers and Whitethroats in now. Highlight was a Spotted Flycatcher in trees at the Nigg end of the area. At least 1 Roe Deer persists on the hill ;-).

Despite all the favourable conditions it was a slow weekend at the ness. Nothing in the way of passerine migrants at all. A pheasant was at the sewage works on saturday, and a few waders have been around including a knot, and a couple of small, short billed arctica type dunlins.

Yesterdays 'highlights' were a nice selection of seabirds, including great and arctic skuas, a few manxies and RTD, and a few puffins.

I was lead a right merry dance by an extemely elusive and jumpy phyllosc at the battery that turned out to be a chiffchaff. Probably a migrant I suppose, but not what I was hoping for!

Meanwhile...on t'hill today. A Siskin in display flight from conifers in the Altens caravan park over the Nigg end of the gramps was intriguing (to me anyway...!)

Not a lot going on out there this morning apart from some weather! The only mig was a golden plover, managing to still look rather handsome if not a little bedraggled. Probably well worth another go this afternoon though...

Not a lot going on out there this morning apart from some weather! The only mig was a golden plover, managing to still look rather handsome if not a little bedraggled. Probably well worth another go this afternoon though...

Before the fog descended, I managed a round of The Ness with a mate this afternoon. The only genuine mig in the pervading fog was a rather bedraggled looking male Wheatear by the sycamore. Whilst we were still able to see offshore, 40+ Common Scoters went north off Greyhope Bay. A moulting male Goosander was in the harbour with Eiders, but apart from that it all seemed very quiet. There was probably more stuff out there than the eye could see though.

Joseph

I had my first wander round for ages today. Thanks to a text from Mark I got on to a female Black Redstart, which was along the south shore of the Ness near the Nigg Bay car park. Quite a late date for one. It was accompanied by a fairly grotty looking Wheatear. Not too much else to report. Three Puffins went north, along with a Red-throated Diver. The only warblers seemed to be local birds. There might well have been something really good lurking about but, with cover quite thick now, it really needs to be singing or making a spectacle of itself to get noticed.

Stuck my nose in at the foghorn this morning for a 1/2 hour sea watch. 8 manxies north, 6 puffins & about 5 Red-throated Divers was my lot. Walked along the water to Nigg Bay but failed to find yesterday's black red.

The south bank foxes were very active today. Enjoyed watching 2 youngsters playing. Later on one of them was on the road limping, I was able to drive right up to it. Worth keeping an eye out in case intervention is needed...

Last edited:
They are not situated In a good area,as the round round The Ness Is popular for a lot of folk.Hopefully,Its nothing serious.

Had a bit of a seawatch after work, primarily to look for cetaceans. There was no blubber on display but there were good numbers of puffins on the move, as well as common scoters, with smaller numbers of velvet scoter, Manxy, and singles of great skua and whimbrel.

Signs of late summer today; the kittiwake flock is building up in the harbour and there were at least 3 juv black-headed gulls there this afternoon. Also, 3 common sandpiper at various points. Seawatching was dead, and greyhope bay was a sorry sight with only a single juv sandwich tern.

Signs of late summer today; the kittiwake flock is building up in the harbour and there were at least 3 juv black-headed gulls there this afternoon. Also, 3 common sandpiper at various points. Seawatching was dead, and greyhope bay was a sorry sight with only a single juv sandwich tern.

I did manage an Arctic Skua and a Bonxie from the flat today, so the odd bit was drifting about.

Nice to be back in Torry - I might even do some proper birding here over the coming weeks!

Great stuff this morning. Adult little gull in Greyhope bay, and then later (or another bird) south with Kittis. Also south with Kittis, a little tern, which is, I think, only my third record from here. This was eclipsed though by about 20 white-beaked dolphins that were feeding offshore (at about 1km range) before heading south at about 7 am!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back