• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Another short walk in my bit of local patch forest clearing this evening with a calling Woodcock and several Yellowhammer singing in the evening sunshine.

15 mins walk from the house, it really is a great space

Attachments

• 9D4FD628-AB2D-47CA-9348-E91DA3E91C30.jpeg
    9D4FD628-AB2D-47CA-9348-E91DA3E91C30.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 59
Lots! Some good views too. RSPB Lakenheath is a reliable shout.

On my forest patch this evening at least 3 roding Woodcock, a couple of Hobbys hawking long after the sun went down, Tree Pipit singing from the Yellow Hammer’s tree and enough mossie bite to empty a blood bank.

Don’t know if anyone is watching the satellite weather but a pretty intense band of rain/storms is heading right for the East coast of Norfolk moving at the moment NNW. If it doesnt break up before landfall or get pushed out over the North Sea, we could get some flash floods over the broads and round the coast to minsmere.

Cuckoo

Just got back from hol's in France , heard loads there.

Wife said she heard one today , Watton area .

Thanks for your replies.

Regards Graham

Thumbs-up

Just wanted to say thanks and what a great thread. I visit Norfolk for family holidays but have always chanced it when it comes to watching the birds. There are some excellent resources and details mentioned |=)|

Hi Richard.

Weeting Heath is good for Stone Curlews in spring and early summer, but around now they are probably beginning to move away and gathering elsewhere prior to migration. I would advise calling the visitors centre to check before visiting in case they have gone - details here: https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/nature-reserves/reserves/weeting-heath

Regards,

James

Hello guys, please, is the Weeting Heath still the best place to see Stone Curlews in Norfolk? Thanks in advance.

Hi Richard.

Weeting Heath is good for Stone Curlews in spring and early summer, but around now they are probably beginning to move away and gathering elsewhere prior to migration. I would advise calling the visitors centre to check before visiting in case they have gone - details here: https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/nature-reserves/reserves/weeting-heath

Regards,

James

Thanks you, James, we have tried Covenham Heath, but without aby success...

Thanks you, James, we have tried Covenham Heath, but without aby success...

The warden and the elderly sidekick volunteer who is annual at the site have advised me in the past that August is a good time to get good views of Stone Curlew at Weeting as an initial post-breeding gathering occurs there, but of course I accept no liability for this year's performance... ;)

John

I'm informed that sea watching and skua sightings off Cley have recently included both Pomarine and juvenile Long tailed, whilst a Great Shearwater has been reported.

Last edited:
Yep. Also, a Great Skua was on the beach at Salthouse for a few days. Also, there was almost daily sightings of Black Terns included one by me (a lifer for me). Strange sighting when I was there was two Dunlin which were extremely tame or exhausted. They sat in a dyke whilst I was walking past just a few meters away. I was on the path East of the East Bank if anyone knows where I mean.

A question from a visiting North Easterner: on Friday afternoon (14th September) we were driving east along the A148 near Harpley when I spotted a red kite sailing along, heading west above the road.

How usual is it to find red kites in north Norfolk? It's not something I associate with this part of the world.

Oh, if the black terns are still around at Salthouse they hid from us today.

Red Kites are now established in North Norfolk as a breeding bird. There are several pairs ranging around the area you travelled through and frequently encountered around the Fakenham and surrounding district. A winter roost last year held a good number of birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back