Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Costa Rica - Medical Advice

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 15th January 2010, 19:43   #1
Jynx
Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster birders on their toes

Costa Rica - Medical Advice

Hi

we are off to Costa Rica next month and are wondering if birders visiting have any advice regarding vaccinations/medications either mandatory or recommended.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/GlosterBirder
Old Friday 15th January 2010, 20:02   #2
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Hi

we are off to Costa Rica next month and are wondering if birders visiting have any advice regarding vaccinations/medications either mandatory or recommended.

Thanks in advance
Mike
None are mandatory, except probably Yellow Fever if you happened to be travelling from a zone in which occurs, ie not including UK.

As for recommended, Costa Rica has got to be one of the safest destinations in the Tropics from all angles, health included. I would suppose all the usual would be advisable, but I took nothing, nor saw need. However, maybe a more responsible type with add detail to this.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th January 2010, 20:53   #3
JJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
None are mandatory, except probably Yellow Fever if you happened to be travelling from a zone in which occurs, ie not including UK.

As for recommended, Costa Rica has got to be one of the safest destinations in the Tropics from all angles, health included. I would suppose all the usual would be advisable, but I took nothing, nor saw need. However, maybe a more responsible type with add detail to this.
I agree.

Malaria is generally isolated in the Southeast part of the country, and very rare even there. Dengue Fever is a bit more common, but there's no vaccine and nothing to do before one comes to CR.

For one of the better web sites on Costa Rica and its diseases, I'll recommend "The Real Costa Rica Web Site".

Last edited by JJP : Friday 15th January 2010 at 20:56.
Old Friday 15th January 2010, 21:00   #4
markgrubb
Leading a life of quiet desperation

This is the public UK website, based on Travax, the site that travel clinics (public and private) use for information. There is a map of the limited areas where malaria is a risk. Your GP surgery will normally have a travel clinic and should be able to advise you as to whether the 'usually or sometimes' advised vaccines are necessary'.

Last edited by markgrubb : Friday 15th January 2010 at 21:13.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th January 2010, 01:37   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor

My personal feeling is that anyone traveling at all (or even frequently eating outside your own kitchen) should have Hepatitis A (for example, there were plenty of examples of restaurants where Hepatitis A was a problem for a period of time during the years we lived in the US). Hepatitis B and C probably are less important, but why not get the best possible combined shot?

In addition, the shots you would be expected to have current where you live (such as Tetanus) should probably be checked for time since last booster.

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th January 2010, 15:59   #6
Steve G
RAINBIRDER

As a general guide boosting tetanus, polio & diptheria (if necessary; your GP should have a record of your last boosters) is a good idea.

Hepatitis A is always worthwhile for travellers though Hepatitis B is usually only recommended for extended stay. There is no vaccine for Hepatitis C.

Typhoid vaccination is cheap & readily available and whilst not a major issue in CR is still worthwhile -especially as there is a combination vaccine with Hep A.

Despite being extensive freshwater wetlands Tortuguero, Cano Negro & Palo Verde have no real malaria risk -but I can confirm they have lots of mozzies!!! (Check out the bare skin at the base of this poor Tortuguero Boat-bill).

Of all the latin American countries Costa Rica is the best place to become unwell in as health care is of a high standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101853521_Z2ZO3ecT.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	238272  

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th January 2010, 21:12   #7
Jynx
Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster birders on their toes

Many thanks for all of your advice.
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/GlosterBirder
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: