• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoonbill colony raise young in Norfolk at Holkham NNR (1 Viewer)

Great stuff

So 6 pairs of spoonbills, a pair of purple herons and a pair of little bitterns

anyone know if cattle egrets bred again this year?

dont think so but lets tot up how many heron/egret/bittern etc specie have bred this year

Heron:2, purple/grey

egret:1, little

bittern:2, little/great

spoonbill:1, eurasian

6 in all out of 12, pretty impressive!

Great to hear, however, spoonbills are not herons, nor do they belong to the family ardeidae which include the herons, egrets and bitterns.

Great to hear, however, spoonbills are not herons, nor do they belong to the family ardeidae which include the herons, egrets and bitterns.
Americans would say they're all 'waders', but we don't really have an equivalent vernacular name in Britain and Ireland.

Richard

Last edited:
Can anybody remind me when the bred in Lancashire recently? I thought it was within the past 5 years but I can't find anything in my back copies of the Lancs Bird Report. I know that there was a write up about it in one of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back