• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flamingos killed in Spain (1 Viewer)

I suppose that it is just nature (climate change?), but it was sad to see those dead and injured flamingos nevertheless. I have seen them a lot in the Ebro Delta further NE.

My Spanish is none existant, so can't read the text.

Interested to know how the heavy rain killed them.

Heavy rain = Hailstones ...

Google 'online translator' - babelfish is a reasonable one (although of course plenty of nonsense comes up in the translation - entertaining at times ;) ) -

Not that the subject matter in this case is :-C . Seriously dangerous hailstones occur at times in southern europe - can write off cars etc, so not too surprised at this, but doesn't make it any better.

Had hailstones as big as golf balls here almost three years ago - totally peppered the car and smashed a rear window. Also had to take the dog to the vets with slight injuries. Certainly killed a lot of the feral pigeons in town.

So sad to see this happen to these majestic flamingos.

Last Winter we had a hailstorm which hit badly the White Wagtails and Sparrow Roost which left dozens dead in the morning a very sad sight :(

I'm sure that we all wonder why nature can sometimes seem so unkind.

Never.

You can only be unkind if you have consciousness, conscience and choice (OK, I'm no philosopher, but you know what I mean).

It is OK to feel very sad about this, but don't anthropomorphise nature.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back