• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Alpha Nex 6 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

One of the things I like about the Sony Nexes is their low light capability (this time of the year I need it) .
This photo of Grey Herons was taken at iso 1,000 in Autoiso at 1/60th second.
I was using the Swarovski TLS APO so manual focus. There is no measurable noise in the photo , according to Colormancer.
Neil.
Sony Nex 6 and Swarovski STX 95 and Swarovski TLS APO Adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
Feb 2014

Attachments

• grey heron nex 6 iso1000 tls apo raw _DSC0303.jpg
    grey heron nex 6 iso1000 tls apo raw _DSC0303.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 509
Neil, I apologize for having joined this forum less than an hour ago and am already beseeching information but could you please look at this shopping list and tell me what I am missing for digiscoping:
Swarovski Optik 95mm Modular Objective Lens SKU: SI49995
Swarovski Optik TLS APO Digiscoping Adapter for ATX/STX Spotting Scopes SKU: SI49312
Swarovski Optik T2 Canon Camera Adapter for TLS APO SKU: SI49130 1
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Sony E-mount Nex Series Cameras, Black SKU:
Pro Optic T-Mount Adapter for Sony NEX DSLR's SKU: PROLATNEX
Manfrotto 502 Video Head.

What else do I need?
I can use either Nex 5,6, or 7 (and in a month the A6000) or an A7r.
All the above will be here this Wednesday but maybe I am missing something?
Thanks if you can and seeing your travel schedule I realize you may not have the time, understood.

Sincerely,
Robert

Forgot to mention I ordered the Canon adapter for various EOS bodies, but due to weight I'm hoping to pull off
a system that works with the lighter Nex bodies.

Neil, I apologize for having joined this forum less than an hour ago and am already beseeching information but could you please look at this shopping list and tell me what I am missing for digiscoping:
Swarovski Optik 95mm Modular Objective Lens SKU: SI49995
Swarovski Optik TLS APO Digiscoping Adapter for ATX/STX Spotting Scopes SKU: SI49312
Swarovski Optik T2 Canon Camera Adapter for TLS APO SKU: SI49130 1
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Sony E-mount Nex Series Cameras, Black SKU:
Pro Optic T-Mount Adapter for Sony NEX DSLR's SKU: PROLATNEX
Manfrotto 502 Video Head.

What else do I need?
I can use either Nex 5,6, or 7 (and in a month the A6000) or an A7r.
All the above will be here this Wednesday but maybe I am missing something?
Thanks if you can and seeing your travel schedule I realize you may not have the time, understood.

Sincerely,
Robert

Forgot to mention I ordered the Canon adapter for various EOS bodies, but due to weight I'm hoping to pull off
a system that works with the lighter Nex bodies.

No problem.
Don't forget the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885805-REG/Swarovski_49901_ATX_Spotting_Scope_Modular.html

At B and H the STX combo is
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/904811-REG/Swarovski_95mm_Objective_Lens_With.html

Although the Nex 7 gets a few more points on DxoMark for it's 24 meg sensor is much slower at handling raw (unusual for digiscoping in my view) and can't link to wifi with the Sony Apps.
Neil.

Hoping to save some coin :)

But the modular you linked is viewing only correct?
I am hoping what I have already ordered will allow the connection of one of the Nex's, correct again I hope! I'll have to view through camera and that is ok for now.
Noted on the 7's write speed, that entirely rules out the A7r.
Thanks Neil for such a speedy reply.

But the modular you linked is viewing only correct?
I am hoping what I have already ordered will allow the connection of one of the Nex's, correct again I hope! I'll have to view through camera and that is ok for now.
Noted on the 7's write speed, that entirely rules out the A7r.
Thanks Neil for such a speedy reply.

No. You need both pieces. For both viewing and digiscoping you need the eyepiece module.
Neil.

A few more question please.

I looked a pics of digiscopers using their gear and it appears MOST use the angled modular so I chose that one...with the understanding that the angled model allows lower and thus more stable tripod mounting.

Now someone please remind me why I ordered the Sigma 30mm F2.8 for e-mount ??? Silly but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the parts and pieces...reminds me of astro photography in that regard.

All kit should be here by weeks end. That means next week when I get off work (I work every other week) I can have a go at digiscoping!
Robert

I looked a pics of digiscopers using their gear and it appears MOST use the angled modular so I chose that one...with the understanding that the angled model allows lower and thus more stable tripod mounting.

Now someone please remind me why I ordered the Sigma 30mm F2.8 for e-mount ??? Silly but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the parts and pieces...reminds me of astro photography in that regard.

All kit should be here by weeks end. That means next week when I get off work (I work every other week) I can have a go at digiscoping!
Robert

Robert,
The Sigma 30/2.8 E is a good lens for digiscoping in Auto Focus Mode with the Sony Nexes. You set it up on the DCB 11 Adapter to center the lens to the eyepiece.
If your happy with manually focusing using the TLS APO method then the 30/2.8 is a good walk around lens for stills and video.
Here are some photos taken with this lens
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157637342808954/
Neil.

One of the things I like about the Sony Nexes is their low light capability (this time of the year I need it) .
This photo of Grey Herons was taken at iso 1,000 in Autoiso at 1/60th second.
I was using the Swarovski TLS APO so manual focus. There is no measurable noise in the photo , according to Colormancer.
Neil.
Sony Nex 6 and Swarovski STX 95 and Swarovski TLS APO Adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
Feb 2014

Neil, not to be negative or anything, but with the caveat that I have not seen a full size version, I would expect my Pana GH2 to give you equally good results when on iso 1000. Now, a comparison at iso 3200 or above might show some differences (which might be negated on your GH3 or the new GH4) but with what I have available I just don't see it. Sorry.

Niels

Neil, not to be negative or anything, but with the caveat that I have not seen a full size version, I would expect my Pana GH2 to give you equally good results when on iso 1000. Now, a comparison at iso 3200 or above might show some differences (which might be negated on your GH3 or the new GH4) but with what I have available I just don't see it. Sorry.

Niels

You're right Niels. I'm often at iso 1600 with the GH3.
I've been shooting thrushes in the park on dull days under hedgerows and would like more iso without noise.
I did some tests recently inside and I had to use iso 1600 with the GH3. Checking with Colormancer on the jpeg they show a little noise, a measure of 42. A measure of 15 would be no noise and what I get with the Nikon D800, but this is still acceptable. I haven't done any tests of various cameras noise handling recently but I will soon as the weather is forcast to be rubbish here for at least another week.
The photo is a reduced jpeg with no adjustments.
Neil.

Attachments

• test GH3 iso1600_1170062.jpg
    test GH3 iso1600_1170062.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 232
but my main digiscoping camera is the Sony RX 100 M2 when I need AF as it's a very sharp Zeiss lens and quality is very good for a 1 inch sensor.

Neil, I use a Panasonic DMC G3 at the moment with the 30 mm f/2.8 Sigma lens. I find the AF very slow. Is the AF (much) better with the RX100-M2? You say that the RX100-M2 is your main digiscoping camera. Does it make good photographs nearby and far away? I never used a zoom lens before. Does it take extra time to take a photo using a zoom lens, compared to a fixed lens?

Jan

Neil, I use a Panasonic DMC G3 at the moment with the 30 mm f/2.8 Sigma lens. I find the AF very slow. Is the AF (much) better with the RX100-M2? You say that the RX100-M2 is your main digiscoping camera. Does it make good photographs nearby and far away? I never used a zoom lens before. Does it take extra time to take a photo using a zoom lens, compared to a fixed lens?

Jan

Jan,
The Sigma 30/2.8 can be a bit slow , although it seems faster on the GH3 than on the Nexes. If I want to track medium speed feeding birds eg greenshanks , move to the 20/2.8 or the Sony RX100M2. For fast feeding birds eg plovers,sanderlings I go for the Nikon P330.
The Sony RX100M2 is the best one for both close ups and distance due to it's fast Zeiss lens. I normally set it to about 50 mm into the zoom and zoom the eyepiece for more magnification. The Sigma 30/2.8 doesn't focus well at distance with haze so I switch to manual focus. I use it for slow moving subjects like egrets and herons in AF mode.
I'm a bit of a camera junkie so I normally have at least 5 cameras with me shooting video, timelapse and stills and digiscoping.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse too much.
Neil.

Slowly piecing it all together mentally....

I see the 30mm lens is often preferred. I thought there was something special in the Sigma 30m F2.8 and after looking at Neils Flickr page on that lens I can see that it is very sharp. But, is there any reason I cannot use my Sony 35mm 1.8 ?
I do planon adding the DCB II for when I'd like to give the Nex's autofocus a go; if the SEL 35mm will do I can cancel the order for the Sigma, it's backordered in black anyway.
Thanks as always.

I see the 30mm lens is often preferred. I thought there was something special in the Sigma 30m F2.8 and after looking at Neils Flickr page on that lens I can see that it is very sharp. But, is there any reason I cannot use my Sony 35mm 1.8 ?
I do planon adding the DCB II for when I'd like to give the Nex's autofocus a go; if the SEL 35mm will do I can cancel the order for the Sigma, it's backordered in black anyway.
Thanks as always.

The Sony 35 mm should work well if it length is similar to the Sigma so that it still fits on the DCB 11. I should AF faster too.
Neil.

DCB II on the way for the Nex(s).
Now a question please concering EOS bodies.
It seems that high ISO performance=higher shutter rates and this is highly desired when digiscoping, correct? So has anybody coupled a digiscope with a body like the EOS 6D which has done nothing but amaze me with high ISO performance, e.g. low low noise even when pushed super high- I realize autofocus is lost in this case. Thoughts?

Last edited:
My kit arrived. Thankfully Swarovski make everything easily plug-n-play.
Here is my first effort. I have already determined that wind is the enemy, in fact any movement at 70X is. Considering this could only have been imaged with a scope I'm very pleased:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/13165581465/

Nice video clip at that distance. Wind is a problem at 70x, even a breeze.
Some things to try -
1. retract the lenshood
2. drop the tripod height
3. fix spikes to the feet
4. hand a heavy weight to the center column eg camera bag
5. set up a wind barrier ( what I do in the hides is make sure that only one window is open so there are no cross breezes.
6. make sure the camera/scope combo is perfectly balanced.

Have fun with your new toy.
Neil.

Excellent points....

Neil thanks for those tips--surely to be invaluable. In fact all the points you made Neil should be on an index card in my pocket or firmly imprinted in my brain.
The DCB II arrives Monday....now if one were to predict whether I'll get better results with it or the TLS APO ???
I can add this to any who might speak of weight and the 95mm. I carried a Sigma 120-300mm for almost 3 weeks in Alaska, getting in and out of cars, small planes, and boats. The entire kit of ATX 95mm + Manfrotto 502 + Induro tripod is not any heavier. I don't even count the weigt of the Nex.

Looking forward to my next go.

Neil thanks for those tips--surely to be invaluable. In fact all the points you made Neil should be on an index card in my pocket or firmly imprinted in my brain.
The DCB II arrives Monday....now if one were to predict whether I'll get better results with it or the TLS APO ???
I can add this to any who might speak of weight and the 95mm. I carried a Sigma 120-300mm for almost 3 weeks in Alaska, getting in and out of cars, small planes, and boats. The entire kit of ATX 95mm + Manfrotto 502 + Induro tripod is not any heavier. I don't even count the weigt of the Nex.

Looking forward to my next go.

If you've got time can you shoot some comparison shots from the DCB 11 and TLS APO on the same subject.
I'm going to try to do that tomorrow too as questions have been raised about which is best.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back