• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Hawker ??????? (1 Viewer)

Karl J

If I've one target to see - it's this one, probably solely because they were featured on Bill Oddie, but whatever, it's my target.

Today at Buckenham Marshes I saw a very likely candidate by one of the dykes, though my inexperience came to the fore when I rushed after it and scared it off !

Certainly the body was the right colour & size and the wings seemed right, but just as I thought 'look for the triangle' off it went. Later I was told the eyes are probably an easier check than looking for the triangle ...... if only I'd known that at the time.

Apparently the first ones have been seen in the area a few days ago so it may well have been, and a there are a few clumps of Water Soldier rising out from the dykes at Strumpshaw which my book says they favour.

Did however see a few 4-Spot Chaser, Hairy Dragonfly, Banded Demoiselle, Lge Red Damselfy and svl of those Blue ones, not too sure exactly what they are - Common Blue, Azure, Variable ... they all look pretty similar to me. And a good selection of butterfly.

Oh well, next time maybe ........

Last edited:
Azure has a black U shape on the abdomen behind the head.
Common Blue has an exclamation mark & the Variable has a wine glass stem with U on its abdomen.

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back