• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Dragonfly ID (1 Viewer)

Jasonbirder

Jason-occasional-twitcher
Whilst at the Red-footed Falcons at Hickling Broad I had views of a Dragonfly which I suspect may have been a Norfolk Hawker, however I am now doubting my own ID, having found out how rare they actually are:-
I noted the following

Large, Hawker in Jizz
Clear Wings
Brown Body
It was the 2nd of June when I saw it and the location was Hickling Broad.

Does anyone have any ID suggestions from that brief description?

Many thanks in advance.

Clear Wings & Brown Abdomen smacks Norfolk Hawker.
The flight period is from Late May, so yes I would say you are correct. Brown Hawker always has Brown wing venation so you cannot fail to mix the two up.

Well done!

CJ

I have to say I am most envious .... have been on the look for these myself

I'm told Hickling is a good area to see them. An id tip I was given the other day was to look for the green eyes.

Excellent !

Well I am no expert, but my book says Norfolk hawkers emerge in early June, and I assume the location is likely.
However Common and Migrate hawkers would also be possible and the females particularly could look Brown unless you got a really good look at the markings. Like I said I have only a little experience with these insects, but Norfolk hawker looks a very light brown in my book.
I guess only you know how brown it was.

I hope that helps

All the best

Rich

I did look it up last night and their emergence times were I think July for migrant, yes I know early, and mid June for Common, If I have remembered correctly. Certainly down here the Dragonfly season has kicked off in a big way due to the high temperatures, and some species are out early. So i thought maybe it could be possible, i could be wrong.
Anyhow good for Jason if it was a Norfolk Hawker.
http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/mffanisofull.htm

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back