• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 - first impressions (1 Viewer)

Camera on the face of it is excellent for digiscoping, but the burst rate is way too slow. For me that would rule it out. Notice Neil highlighted this point as well.

Kerry77 said:
Hi Malc,

I am reading this thread with real interest. I have a nikon ED82A and I'm just considering which camera to purchase as a total novice to digiscoping. I had narrowed it down to the Fuji f30 or Samsung NV3 however now feel I must add the P5000 as well. As an ed82 user does the P5000 stand out as the one to get above the F30? It's so difficult to reach a decision and I really want to start digiscoping!

Thanks, Kerry

Hiya Kerry

Well I have only had the P5000 for three days so far, and can't really make a definate judgement on the P5000 against the F30, I just have not had time to play with the P5000 yet.
Having said that, from the pictures I have taken so far, the P5000 gives a sharper image, and with 10mp you can crop the picture alot without degrading it too much.
The burst speed doesn't worry me too much, I hardly ever used the F30 on burst.
The P5000 seems very well made, and there are lots of choices of settings within the menues. As my posting above mentions, the VR seems to work well with scope, so that is a plus point.

The F30 has given me some very nice pictures in the 5 months I have been using it. I wanted a spare camera, and had earmarked the P5000, I am sure I won't be dissapointed with it.

If you havent already seen pictures I have taken with the two cameras, click on the links.

F30 http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Birdpage.htm

P5000 only a few so far http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

One point to bear in mind is that the F30 will very soon not be available any more, and is a very good buy at the moment £125 ish on Amazon for instance.

The P5000 will probably be available for at least a year, and should come down in price.

Decisions Decisions

Malc

ajp310 said:
Hi John...

What size memory card do think is appropriate for 10MP?

Thanks,

Alan

You'll get about 200 images on a 1gb card Alan. I would buy two of these rather than a 2gb just in case of a card problem and you lost the pics on it.

Regards

John

buzzard12 said:
Hi John,

Thanks for posting this, as said already the detail in the pics is very impressive. Will have to follow suit and pick one of these bad boys up when the budget allows...
Will be marrying it to a leica telivid, anyone know what the best adaptor might be??

Hi Alan.
There is an adapter, the UR-E20, to fit the p5000 and gives a 28mm female thread to connect scope etc to, I'm sure you could work something around this.

Regards

John

Feathered one said:
Hiya Kerry

Well I have only had the P5000 for three days so far, and can't really make a definate judgement on the P5000 against the F30, I just have not had time to play with the P5000 yet.
Having said that, from the pictures I have taken so far, the P5000 gives a sharper image, and with 10mp you can crop the picture alot without degrading it too much.
The P5000 seems very well made, and there are lots of choices of settings within the menues. As my posting above mentions, the VR seems to work well with scope, so that is a plus point.

The F30 has given me some very nice pictures in the 5 months I have been using it. I wanted a spare camera, and had earmarked the P5000, I am sure I won't be dissapointed with it.

If you havent already seen pictures I have taken with the two cameras, click on the links.

P5000 only a few so far http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

One point to bear in mind is that the F30 will very soon not be available any more, and is a very good buy at the moment £125 ish on Amazon for instance.

The P5000 will probably be available for at least a year, and should come down in price.

Decisions Decisions

Malc

Hi Malc,
I know you have said that you have only had the p5000 for about 3 days and after looking and comparing the photos I myself think the Fuji F30 shots are the best. I use the F30 and at the moment I do,nt think I would get the P5000, by the way how far do you have the f30 lens from scope lens. Looking forward to some more photos later on has you get more use to the camera, many thanks for sharing.
Stan.

stanacko said:
Hi Malc,
I know you have said that you have only had the p5000 for about 3 days and after looking and comparing the photos I myself think the Fuji F30 shots are the best. I use the F30 and at the moment I do,nt think I would get the P5000, by the way how far do you have the f30 lens from scope lens. Looking forward to some more photos later on has you get more use to the camera, many thanks for sharing.
Stan.

Stan

The distance from the eyepiece glass to the F30 metal lens barrel is 6mm when fully zoomed out.

And I quite agree that I need more pictures with the P5000 to form an opinion, but I can say now that the F30 pictures need more Photoshop sharpening than do the P5000.

Malc

Personally I don't think you need as much as 10mp for digiscoping, this also contributes to the slow burst rate like with the A640. You need detail in the shots but a lower mp camera of around 7 or 8 would be more than adequate with a fast enough burst rate to freeze any action. Birds don't always stay still to have their photo taken!

Finally as most of us know, these cameras are not produced with digiscoping in mind so it comes down to a choice of pros and cons with what works and what you want the camera to do.

Feathered one said:
Hiya Kerry

Decisions Decisions

Malc

Morning Malc,

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to weigh up the pros and cons of each camera as being a total newcomer to digiscoping I don't know which features I'll use the most. But if the F30 is soon going to become unavailable then maybe I should go for that and see how I go, as you say the P5000 will be around longer and if I still find myself itching for it I can then save up again and get it. However, I have this feeling that the one I do buy may just depend on my mood at the time, I swing between the two so much. Hopefully I'll be pleased with whichever I get-looking at our pictures I'd certainly be really pleased with either image quality. They are great pics and when I've decided on the camera and bought it I'm sure I'll be on the forums looking for tips on how to get the best out of it.

So many decisions, think it's shortly going to be time to just get off the fence and just take the plunge! I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks again,

Kerry x

I'm with Malc, don't use burst mode even with the A610, which has an even better rate than both the A620 and A640, so I have to agree that the 10mp is a definite help. Ernie

Kerry77 said:
Morning Malc,

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to weigh up the pros and cons of each camera as being a total newcomer to digiscoping I don't know which features I'll use the most. But if the F30 is soon going to become unavailable then maybe I should go for that and see how I go, as you say the P5000 will be around longer and if I still find myself itching for it I can then save up again and get it. However, I have this feeling that the one I do buy may just depend on my mood at the time, I swing between the two so much. Hopefully I'll be pleased with whichever I get-looking at our pictures I'd certainly be really pleased with either image quality. They are great pics and when I've decided on the camera and bought it I'm sure I'll be on the forums looking for tips on how to get the best out of it.

So many decisions, think it's shortly going to be time to just get off the fence and just take the plunge! I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks again,

Kerry x

And good morning to you Kerry

Yes do please let us know what you decided to buy, and there are lots of members of the forum who will give advice on using the camera and digiscoping in general. One of the first lessons is that although you have a lot of magnification available with the scope and the zoom on the camera, don't expect to get really good pictures with the camera zoom set to more than about half, the less the better, although you can get lucky with more.

Ernie

I normally wait for the bird to be in the right pose, then take the picture, the camera response is quick enough to capture it. Using burst then I end up with lots of pictures I don't want.
Burst is usefull for trying to get birds in flight etc, but very difficult to do with a digiscope set up. I tried with vultures in Spain, job enough to even get them in the view of the scope, when I did get one in the scope, I tracked them and the wife operated the cable release !!

Malc

After the last 2 days of misty/foggy weather the sun finally broke through and although quite a stiff wind was blowing I had to get out and try the p5000 in some good light. I think the VR might have helped combat the wind a bit as it was certainly blowing the scope.

Pics at ISO100, Aperture Priority, -0.3EV and 20-30x on the zoom.

John

Attachments

• carrion-crow-0293crop.jpg
    carrion-crow-0293crop.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 205
  • meadow-pipit-0364crop.jpg
    meadow-pipit-0364crop.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 232
  • nuthatch-0248.jpg
    nuthatch-0248.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 224
  • robin-0278.jpg
    robin-0278.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 215
  • sand-martin-0373.jpg
    sand-martin-0373.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 223
john-henry said:
After the last 2 days of misty/foggy weather the sun finally broke through and although quite a stiff wind was blowing I had to get out and try the p5000 in some good light. I think the VR might have helped combat the wind a bit as it was certainly blowing the scope.

Pics at ISO100, Aperture Priority, -0.3EV and 20-30x on the zoom.

John
I've been checking out the various models for digiscoping myself as I need one to replace my well worn CP4500. I'd got it down to three models, this being one of them but I think the results you've gained here have just about convinced me that P5000 is the camera for me.

The poor burst mode is the only thing I don't like about the camera. It was poor on the CP4500, but I still found it useful to capture a selection of poses. A shame it doesn't have the continuous shooting feature of some of the other models.

Excellent pics John! Do you think Nikon has done something to the lens compared to the P3/4 which has similar specs, but was often said to be a little soft. There certainly is no softness problem whatsoever with your P5000. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

IanF said:
I've been checking out the various models for digiscoping myself as I need one to replace my well worn CP4500. I'd got it down to three models, this being one of them but I think the results you've gained here have just about convinced me that P5000 is the camera for me.

The poor burst mode is the only thing I don't like about the camera. It was poor on the CP4500, but I still found it useful to capture a selection of poses. A shame it doesn't have the continuous shooting feature of some of the other models.

Yes it would be a bonus Ian but I don't really consider it that important, you, I and many thousands of digiscopers have managed very well without it.

Regards

John

iporali said:
Excellent pics John! Do you think Nikon has done something to the lens compared to the P3/4 which has similar specs, but was often said to be a little soft. There certainly is no softness problem whatsoever with your P5000. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

Hi Ilkka,
It seemed more of a focusing problem with the P3/4 than the lens sharpness, I've seen some really sharp pics from the cameras as well as soft ones, in fact I was very tempted to get one but it seemed a bit "iffy".
Whatever, there isn't the same problem with the P5000, focus is accurate and if not the fastest fast enough, metering seems pretty good too.

I might be a little biased as I've always liked Nikon cameras but they seemed to go "off the boil" in the last few years but I consider the've got a winner this time.

Regards

John

Paul Jarvis said:
Personally I don't think you need as much as 10mp for digiscoping, this also contributes to the slow burst rate like with the A640. You need detail in the shots but a lower mp camera of around 7 or 8 would be more than adequate with a fast enough burst rate to freeze any action. Birds don't always stay still to have their photo taken!

Finally as most of us know, these cameras are not produced with digiscoping in mind so it comes down to a choice of pros and cons with what works and what you want the camera to do.

Paul,
I agree you don't need 10mp for digiscoping, or 7 or 8 it it comes to that, but if you've got it you see the advantages of it.
As you know it's not the burst rate that "freezes the action" but the shutter speed, regardless of how fast you take a picture.

Regards

John

Robert L Jarvis said:
Camera on the face of it is excellent for digiscoping, but the burst rate is way too slow. For me that would rule it out. Notice Neil highlighted this point as well.

Hi Robert,
What is it with a burst rate being the most important thing for digiscoping, am I missing something?
I've used a Coolpix 995, 4500 and, like you, an A95 and got some good results from them regardless of how fast they take the picture.

Neil likes to shoot birds in action and the burst rate just gives him various poses he might be after, it's the shutter speed used that determines if the action is 'frozen' or not, you're talking as if burst rate is the be all and end all to successful pictures.

Come on Robert pass on your wealth of photographic knowledge to those looking for what to use and how to do it rather than making unhelpful remarks.

Regards

John

John

Excellent shots :t:

I had also considered P3 but was put off by the focusing issues. This looks like a worthwhile addition to my digiscoping set up, particularly with accurate focus & good metering.

John

i was going to pull the trigger on a new P5000 yesterday to compliment my new ED82 but decided to hold off until more is known about it.
it looks nice yes but i wonder why having 10 mp is all that important considering i rarely crop down my images.
my P4 has 7 mp and while many consider it soft i still think it has served me well, still, if the new FSB6 bracket is available here in north america soon i will consider it..
might pay off the ED82 first though : )

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back