• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15-45x 50mm or 20-60x 60mm - spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Kenny08

Hi all:

I'm a relatively new birder and need some direction please - thanks in advance.

I currently have a 7x35 binocular which I want to complement with a spotting scope.

I've been considering either the following:

• 15-45x with 50mm objective
  • 20-60x with a 60mm objective

I was going to go for the 15-45x because it's smaller and lighter, but if the 20-60 is more practical, I will go for that at the sacrifice of size / weight.

Thoughts?

Thank yoiu!

Hi all:

I currently have a 7x35 binocular which I want to complement with a spotting scope.

I was going to go for the 15-45x because it's smaller and lighter, but if the 20-60 is more practical, I will go for that at the sacrifice of size / weight.

Thoughts?

Thank yoiu!

Hi!

What's your budget?

Hi all:

Thoughts?

Thank yoiu!

First of all welcome.
As a supporting vendor here it would be my pleasure to assist you and discuss this with you, 516-217-1000.
There's a few variables to cover before moving forward:
Price range
Size and Weight

If you want the best quality and the smallest size then the Kowa TSN-553 or TSN-554 would be the way to go. AWESOME quality in a small light weight 15-45x55mm. The best, really.

In something also small and great quality, but much less expensive would be the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED Spotting Scope should be considered.
In 65mm or 80ish mm scopes there's a host of options.

It would be best to discuss some details in order to steer you in the right direction.

Again, welcome to the forum

I think it depends on the use. A smaller scope is lighter and thus can be used with a lighter tripod/head, whereas the heavier scope will need a much heavier tripod/head. Putting a larger tripod on a flimsy base will degrade the image quality and basically defeat the purpose of lugging around the extra weight. Keep in mind that often 50/55 mm scopes have a tripod attachment that is fixed, so that you cannot rotate the scope on its axis -- I find that a substantial limitation for my use.

Hi all:

Thoughts?

Thank yoiu!

Did you buy something? What did you get and are you happy with your purchase?

I have used the Nikon ED50 with fixed 30x eyepiece. It was great in the dark rainforest plus lighter too allowing me to walked up and down the hill without any problem. When I started to used the Swarovski STX65 scope, the view is more enjoyable because of the bigger aperture.

I have used the Nikon ED50 with fixed 30x eyepiece. It was great in the dark rainforest plus lighter too allowing me to walked up and down the hill without any problem. When I started to used the Swarovski STX65 scope, the view is more enjoyable because of the bigger aperture.

Welcome back! Your insights have been missed.

Agree on both counts, my 60mm Nikon EDIII offers a more comfortable view, but the little ED50 with the 27x wide angle eyepiece is super portable and still performs.

Welcome back! Your insights have been missed.

Agree on both counts, my 60mm Nikon EDIII offers a more comfortable view, but the little ED50 with the 27x wide angle eyepiece is super portable and still performs.

Ahhhh thanks!

Been busy with other Offroad projects in my place hahaha

Budget is always important, but so is size/weight. If you don't think you'll be carrying scope + tripod very far, then go for aperture. After that think about budget.

A lot depends upon how far afield you want to go. I use a Nikon 50mm ED + 27x wide and I can carry that all day if need be. Not a bother.

On the other hand, my big scope is 82mm with a commensurate tripod and carrying it a few miles is about it for that one. It's better, sure, but you weigh (haha!) the cost and benefit.

Split the difference? Think of a 60-65mm and a nice carbon tripod. It could be 20-60x and the only scope you need. As with most things in life, however, you may have to experiment to find what you like.

PS: good to see you again horukuru. You know what works in the field!!

I was speaking to a scope designer recently and he said that the idea that smaller scopes should have a lighter tripod is wrong. He said of course a heavier scope needs a tripod strong enough and so heavier, but he said to remain steady in a strong wind a lightweight small scope also needs a heavy tripod because its lack of weight makes it even more likely to vibrate in the wind or from just touching it to adjust the focus or zoom. The choice of a light tripod with a light scope is valid, he said, to be able to walk long distances with it, but this is putting portability in front of vibration suppression.

Just reporting.

Lee

Budget is always important, but so is size/weight. If you don't think you'll be carrying scope + tripod very far, then go for aperture. After that think about budget.

A lot depends upon how far afield you want to go. I use a Nikon 50mm ED + 27x wide and I can carry that all day if need be. Not a bother.

On the other hand, my big scope is 82mm with a commensurate tripod and carrying it a few miles is about it for that one. It's better, sure, but you weigh (haha!) the cost and benefit.

Split the difference? Think of a 60-65mm and a nice carbon tripod. It could be 20-60x and the only scope you need. As with most things in life, however, you may have to experiment to find what you like.

PS: good to see you again horukuru. You know what works in the field!!

Thanks!

Will contribute more soon!

I was speaking to a scope designer recently and he said that the idea that smaller scopes should have a lighter tripod is wrong. He said of course a heavier scope needs a tripod strong enough and so heavier, but he said to remain steady in a strong wind a lightweight small scope also needs a heavy tripod because its lack of weight makes it even more likely to vibrate in the wind or from just touching it to adjust the focus or zoom. The choice of a light tripod with a light scope is valid, he said, to be able to walk long distances with it, but this is putting portability in front of vibration suppression.

Just reporting.

Lee

I agree with the above. But from what I have seen, for rainforest, light weight tripod is the way to go because less wind in the dense forest.

Just reporting.

Lee

I'd agree with that...but if I'm willing to carry a bigger tripod I'd probably also be willing to carry a bigger scope to go with it, wouldn't I? It's kind of a Catch 22.

I was on the west coast recently, out on a point by a lighthouse, and the wind rendered my little scope/tripod pretty much useless. No surprise there. No scope would have been much good in that wind. But out of the wind I also got the best views of a little Rock Wren that I've ever had with the scope. So, you do what you can.

At another point in our walk (it was about 10 miles), we watched Northern Elephant Seals with their new pups. The park service had clamped a couple scopes to fence posts for visitors to use. That's the ultimate in stability! But it's not very portable. So there's always a compromise it seems.

Last edited:
I'd agree with that...but if I'm willing to carry a bigger tripod I'd probably also be willing to carry a bigger scope to go with it, wouldn't I? It's kind of a Catch 22...

I agree as well, but I'd point out on more thing to consider. Light weight tripods can be very stable when shortened to kneeling or sitting height, especially if weighted with a bag. Consequently, I prefer a tripod that extends to the maximum height that I prefer when conditions allow, but also works well when shortened (e.g. allows wider leg spread). Many ultralight tripods are both too short _and_ don't work well as a ground pod. My choice for my Nikon ED50 Fieldscope is the Velbon Ultra 455 with a good small ballhead (I use Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro). It is super fast to set up or adjust, allows variable leg spread, goes nice and tall for my straight scope, and is solid when short.

--AP

I'd agree with that...but if I'm willing to carry a bigger tripod I'd probably also be willing to carry a bigger scope to go with it, wouldn't I? It's kind of a Catch 22.

I was on the west coast recently, out on a point by a lighthouse, and the wind rendered my little scope/tripod pretty much useless. No surprise there. No scope would have been much good in that wind. But out of the wind I also got the best views of a little Rock Wren that I've ever had with the scope. So, you do what you can.

At another point in our walk (it was about 10 miles), we watched Northern Elephant Seals with their new pups. The park service had clamped a couple scopes to fence posts for visitors to use. That's the ultimate in stability! But it's not very portable. So there's always a compromise it seems.

I know what you mean Mark. Of course you are in a cool position because your Meopta S2 being an 82mm is a nice medium size, bigger objective than a 65mm and not so big as an 85/95mm.

Lee

I agree as well, but I'd point out on more thing to consider. Light weight tripods can be very stable when shortened to kneeling or sitting height, especially if weighted with a bag. Consequently, I prefer a tripod that extends to the maximum height that I prefer when conditions allow, but also works well when shortened (e.g. allows wider leg spread). Many ultralight tripods are both too short _and_ don't work well as a ground pod. My choice for my Nikon ED50 Fieldscope is the Velbon Ultra 455 with a good small ballhead (I use Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro). It is super fast to set up or adjust, allows variable leg spread, goes nice and tall for my straight scope, and is solid when short.

--AP

Absolutely Alexis and this is my solution too since my tripod (also a Velbon) was bought more with low-down photography in mind. And actually my designer pal often sits down with his lowered tripod alongside him and rotates the angled scope towards him so the eyepiece is horizontal and he can look into it while sitting. He is able to aim it OK having done this for years.

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back