• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dealing with rain and bird feeders. (1 Viewer)

keithdog

I was wondering if during the warmer months of the year if you take in your hanging feeders that may be susceptible to getting wet during the rain or do you leave them out year long. My metal screen thistle and peanut feeders always come in before it rains to ensure the seed stays dry to prevent mold growth. Am I being overly cautious?

I leave mine out 24/7 unless there is threat of rain. In Texas so we dont get days and days of constant rain, so I bring mine in when it rains, and then once its over I put them back out. I do have a weatherguard, which is a clear plastic dome that goes on my main feeder, but its not enough if there is wind or heavy rains. If its a drippy slow rain then its OK to leave out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back