• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100% crop with stacked converters (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Here is a shot and crop that I took today. I had stacked 1.4x and 2x tc + 300/2.8 (840mm) trying to get some record shots of a distant Great White Egret when I saw a flash of Emerald and took this snap.
It never fails to amaze me just how much detail is captured and I have posted this as a tribute to the resolving powers of Canon white lenses (and the 7D).
The crop is just 2.3% of the total image by my reckoning. BTW I have obviously edited the crop.

Attachments

• kf1_full frame.jpg
    kf1_full frame.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 305
  • kf1.jpg
    kf1.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 391
:t:Also credit has to go to the operator and method used to support and steady the 1,344mm lens when you calculate the crop factor into the focal length.
Massive!:t:

Hi Roy..............I thought I'd respond quickly to your post not because I have anything useful to add but just to show the coincidence of an image I took yesterday.
I am the very pleased owner of a s/h canon 500mm f/4 recieved a couple of weeks ago. Thus am learning how to use (and carry !) it and yesterday i was trying it with a 1.4 and a 2X converter. However I stupidly left my remote shutter release at home and most of my shots were fuzzy and those that weren't were focused on some other area of the image where the birds weren't.
The attached image, shot at 1000mm, is unclear but I've just noticed some of the water is reasonably sharp so it's probably inexperience with manual focusing more than vibration or maybe a combination.
Anyway a Great Egret AND a Kingfisher.:t:
Best
Robin

Attachments

• Egret & Kingfisher.jpg
    Egret & Kingfisher.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 145
Hi Roy..............I thought I'd respond quickly to your post not because I have anything useful to add but just to show the coincidence of an image I took yesterday.
I am the very pleased owner of a s/h canon 500mm f/4 recieved a couple of weeks ago. Thus am learning how to use (and carry !) it and yesterday i was trying it with a 1.4 and a 2X converter. However I stupidly left my remote shutter release at home and most of my shots were fuzzy and those that weren't were focused on some other area of the image where the birds weren't.
The attached image, shot at 1000mm, is unclear but I've just noticed some of the water is reasonably sharp so it's probably inexperience with manual focusing more than vibration or maybe a combination.
Anyway a Great Egret AND a Kingfisher.:t:
Best
Robin
Like you say Robin, parts of the image is in focus. I had a slight advantage in that my combo still AF's even on a non 1 series as the Camera only see the 2x tc and thinks it is still f5.6.

Roy....nicely done. What do you think was the distance? ... What is that bird perched on by the way?

.... at levels beyond 30 meters or so, I wonder how a digiscoping 'set-up' foto would compare to a camera 'set up / crop'? A digiscoping set up would not need to be cropped too much at a distance but inherently has more noise.

Has anyone compared or is there a comparison between digiscoping fotos and that of L lens quality with multiple TC's? jim

Roy....nicely done. What do you think was the distance? ... What is that bird perched on by the way?

.... at levels beyond 30 meters or so, I wonder how a digiscoping 'set-up' foto would compare to a camera 'set up / crop'? A digiscoping set up would not need to be cropped too much at a distance but inherently has more noise.

Has anyone compared or is there a comparison between digiscoping fotos and that of L lens quality with multiple TC's? jim
Hi Jim, the bird was perched on the wall of a quayside. I would estimate the distance to be 40 or 50 metres.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back