• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Upgrade (1 Viewer)

misstheo

I was just after some advice and ideas as to my next camera upgrade and future lens choices.

My current setup is a Canon 40D with the 400mm f5.6 fixed prime. I absolutely love this lens and intend on keeping it for a long time. I wouldn't mind a lens with a bit more reach so I'm eyeing up either the Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600mm but that's for a later date.

I would like to upgrade the 40D to a body with a bit more modern tech. I really like the 40D and it has been my first DSLR which has served me well but I've discovered I need higher ISO performance as the 40D only goes up to 1600. I'm looking at upgrading to either the 7D or 70D for the faster focusing system etc but can't decide which one to get. I have considered full frame but I'm finding them too expensive to consider.

With the 7D I can pick one up used for much cheaper so it's a no brainer, except I'm also thinking of buying the Tamron 150-600mm in the future and I keep reading about the issues with this lens and camera, whereas the 70D appears to work well with the Tamron. I'd also consider the new Sigma 150-600mm so I'm willing to wait. I'm in no rush to buy a new lens, I'd just like to buy a newer body and I'm reading that there isn't much difference between the 7D and 70D. The 7D2 is out of my budget unless I don't want to buy a lens in the future.

Which body would be best?

Thanks

i have the 70d and while its a big step up ,noise can still be a issue at higher iso ,its a capable camera though and a lot more advanced than the 40d .BUT don't expect to find a major upsurge in your pics its not going to happen .i also have a 1D3 which i tend to pick up and use the most and although still only 10mp gives good clean images right up to 3200iso .they can also be picked up fairly cheaply these days .and has a a/f system thats spot on every time .works well with the 400 lens as well .
myself and a friend were on about this last night and we both went through files from older cameras ,theres no real difference that justifies the cost .

I have to agree with black fix here I part exchanged my 7d for a 1D3 for the extra reach and better IQ. Wish I could of afforded the mk4 but that out my budget. The 1D3 is still a hell of camera despite its age.

Last edited:
I had your same set up ...a 40D and 400mm 5.6. Years ago I upgraded to the 7D and wow...so much better.

Yes it is true that good photography is all about 'your skills' and your 'lens' but the camera also makes a difference. You need to upgrade.

The 7D's are going for under a $1000 now I believe. They started at around $1700 and went to $11300, then to $1100 so you are getting a great camera at a great price. I wouldn't see the need to do much more than that as the upgrade, while an upgrade might have features you wouldn't use.

I wouldn't opt for one of the bigger lens'... do the camera and keep the 400mm as it is a great lens.

OH...your FIRST POSTING!!!...WELCOME ... jim

I had a 40D when I started out with the Canon 400L f5.6. I upgraded to the 7D and never looked back, it really is a great body and given the issues with the 7D mkii which seem to be mentioned a lot on the forum here, I still believe it to be one of the best around for birds in particular. I also now own the Tamron 150-600 lens and again with the Canon 7D and it is an excellent set up for wildlife photography. The early issues with the Tamron seem to have been resolved now that firmware has been improved on the newer issue lenses so you have the best of both worlds really - a superb 400mm prime which is the best compliment for the 7D when it comes to birds and for the extra reach and flexibility, the Tammy is ideal and priced so well now.
I would definitely go for the 7D as your upgrade from the 40D you have now, it's a winner and available at such a low price now, new or secondhand!
Just my ten pence worth of advice.

Last edited:
Here is my two pence worth,if the op goes with either a 1d3 or 7mk2 then a 1.4x tc will work fine.negatting the need for a new lens.

Steve.

Thank you all for your comments so far. It's good to hear others that have had the same setup as me and have chosen the 7D as their next upgrade and haven't looked back. I have waited purposefully for the 7D2 to come out knowing that the price of used and new 7D will drop. It worked! However I am also curious about the 1D3 and the ability to use a teleconverter which would solve both of my desires! I remember looking at teleconverters for the 400mm f5.6 awhile ago and remembered something about having to tape or pin it to the end of the lens. As you can tell I really do my research before parting with my cash lol! So how does the teleconverter work with the 1D3 and 7D2? Don't you lose a stop of aperture or something?

Thank you all for your comments so far. It's good to hear others that have had the same setup as me and have chosen the 7D as their next upgrade and haven't looked back. I have waited purposefully for the 7D2 to come out knowing that the price of used and new 7D will drop. It worked! However I am also curious about the 1D3 and the ability to use a teleconverter which would solve both of my desires! I remember looking at teleconverters for the 400mm f5.6 awhile ago and remembered something about having to tape or pin it to the end of the lens. As you can tell I really do my research before parting with my cash lol! So how does the teleconverter work with the 1D3 and 7D2? Don't you lose a stop of aperture or something?

With the 1D3 no taping of pins required,centre point focus can only be used.Not sure about focus points with the 7dmk2.One stop of light lost.

Steve.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back