• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 80ED zoom adapter? (1 Viewer)

stefanbj

Hi everyone,

I have the Pentax80ED scope with 20-60x zoom eyepiece and I am very happy with this scope. (I got a good deal on a new one on Ebay).

I have started to digiscope by handholding my Canon S30 to the eyepiece. I have got some decent results at good conditions, but I definitively want to try using an adaptor for easier handling.

Does anyone know of a good adaptor that will fit the zoom eyepiece. i have been looking around quit a lot at different manufacturer site and have found that almost all adaptors are to small for this eyepiece. The only one I have found that could fit is the Uni-T adaptor from Scopetronix.

Does anyone out there have experience with this scope/adaptor combination?
Are there any other good alternatives for me? I have started looking around for suitable materials for a homemade adaptor and all tips are much appriciated.

Since there are no lens threads on my camera, I aim for an adaptor (or combiniation of adaptors) that attaches to the tripod attachment in the bottom of the camera

hi

i ve got a pentax too, mine has one day just,

i ve been looking also for an adaptor, i had found something excellent until i received the scope and discover the real diameter of the eyepiece is 60mm and not 69mm as advertised.

so i ve checked something else

you can go to the plumber side of your drugstore and look for a 63mm tube, it fits nicely and is big enough (5mm) to screw firmly a nylon screw as stopper once over the eyepiece.

if you can find something that join a 63mm plumber tube (old type) to 80mm plumber tube (new type), we call it raccord-union in france (join-union), unscrew it and the 63mm side is perfect because it is little smaller on the top so you can put it on the eyepiece and it stays alone, without stopper screw (despite it needs one to avoid turning or falling once the camera is attached to it)

then you have to fabric an adaptor for your camera optic, personnaly i have a coolpix and have made a cover for my tube with a piece of metal sheet, and a 28-37 adaptor ring.

I' ll post a pic soon

the tube is also big enough so you can fix it with a screw and a piece of strong metal sheet to the tripod attachment in the bottom of your camera

you ll be embarassed if you dont consider fixing a shutter release to this attachment too.

bye

fred

Hi Fred,

Thank you for this great advice. I am trying something similar to this.
Unfortunately the plumbing tubes in Sweden do not have the same diameters as yours. We have 50 and 75 mm tubes :-(.
I have found a rubber fitting that connects tubes that can be made to fit the eyepiece (i hope).

Were have you placed the stopping screw? The reason I ask is that the outer part that adjusts the eye relief distance rotates. I am thinking that it may move when the camera is fitted. Have you had problems with this or is the stopping placed somewhere else on your adaptor?

I am thinking about screwing a metal plate to the tube for attachment of the camera as yuo suggested and hope that I can also make attachment for a shutter release on that metal plate.

Good luck with your setup!

Stefan

hi stefan

the nylon screw is on the outer part that adjusts the eye relief but it doesn't move because the camera is on the right side and it turns on the left side, i had not thought about it before... |-:

you can take a cover of a pot of jam to go upside your tube and then screw it on the little side of the cover (where there is a screw to fix it to the pot of jam), not on the round side over the tube, you will have troubles drilling in the thickness of the tube

good luck with your setup too

bye

fred

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back