• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tricolored Brush-Finch (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm that this is a Tricolored Brush-Finch? Taken in The Birdwatcher House Ecador in July.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A7375.jpg
    _A0A7375.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 24
Russet-crowned Warbler

Wrenthrush is a structurally very different bird, most obviously but not only the tail.

Russet-crowned Warbler

Wrenthrush is a structurally very different bird, most obviously but not only the tail.

Yes I was aware of that, just pointing out the resemblance, if you had a shot of this bird, through bushes and showing just the head?

Yes I was aware of that, just pointing out the resemblance, if you had a shot of this bird, through bushes and showing just the head?

I saw your earlier comment about the tail as well. I apologize if my comment came off as rude or short, wasn't intended to be! Basically Wrenthrush is structurally more like a Tapaculo to me. Not just the tail but it has a more rotund build and smaller wings.

There are plenty of plumage differences as well but I do see what you mean about the first impression. Honestly, though, I've never seen Wrenthrush in such good light to make heads or tails of the colors. It's kind of like trying to see flank color on Tapaculos - 90% of observations are a really dark silhouette :) To me the most obvious coloration differences for Wrenthrush would be lack of the black eye line, darker/drabber color, and black feet...

I saw your earlier comment about the tail as well. I apologize if my comment came off as rude or short, wasn't intended to be! Basically Wrenthrush is structurally more like a Tapaculo to me. Not just the tail but it has a more rotund build and smaller wings.

There are plenty of plumage differences as well but I do see what you mean about the first impression. Honestly, though, I've never seen Wrenthrush in such good light to make heads or tails of the colors. It's kind of like trying to see flank color on Tapaculos - 90% of observations are a really dark silhouette :) To me the most obvious coloration differences for Wrenthrush would be lack of the black eye line, darker/drabber color, and black feet...

Not rude at all PBJ, sorry if I gave that impression. I admit I did have to check as I know that Chris was in Costa Rica before this trip and I realised the structure was wrong, especially as you say, the tail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back