• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

scatcat

Joe boy
As my question suggests, I am considering buying a Nikon DSLR camera body to use with an existing AF zoom lens.
This lens is in mint condition but will be approximately 15 years old.
Paperwork describes it as:
AF Zoom- Nikkor ED 70-300mm f/4- 5.6D

D-type AF Zoom-Nikkor lens with built in CPU and Nikon bayonet mount.

Nikon customer support advise me this lens can be used on the following bodies:
D90
D300
D700

Is this a worthy consideration, or am I narrowing my options of camera bodies just to salvage an old lens?

All thoughts and comments welcome.

The bodies all have internal Af motor drives which is why they have suggested them them not sure why they didn't list the D7000 unless it lacks one but surely not at where it sits in the range.
Not limiting choices as those listed are all 1st rate, if it was my choice it would be the D300s or the full frame D700 especially if focal length wasn't important.

Personally I'd look at all options including selling the lens and buying in to Canon if you are starting from scratch. I guess it depends on how far down the expense trail you want to go. Canon have the300mmf4, 100-400mm zoom and 400f5.6, Nikon currently only have the dated 80-400 zoom and 300f4 to choose in the less expensive range of birding lenses.
When it comes to the super telephoto lenses it doesn't make too much difference although Nikon do offer a 200-400f4 zoom while Canon have the 800mmf5.6.
Buying second hand you will find far more Canon lenses than Nikon here in the UK.
Personally, for me it would be a choice between the D300s and the 7D as they are at the moment, but one of the two will no doubt bring out something better very soon !
Good luck Dave

That lens does not have as good a reputation as the newer Nikon 70-300 AFS. I would be very cautious about it (I'm not a fan of even the new AFS version, though many people like it). I don't think it would be a good idea to commit to an $800+ body for the sake of a $200 lens (US prices).

In any case, you will probably find that 300mm is too short for birding, and I would guess that lens will not work well with teleconverters.

I would also recommend that you go and look at and handle Nikon and Canon bodies - they have different ergonomics.

I had that zoom when I first started out in photography and it's AF speed may not be the quickest nor the quietest and it doesn't have any VR but in IQ terms I'd rate it quite highly actually, for the price of it at least.

If you're just starting a move into bird photography then it'd certainly give you something decent to start out with while you save and consider what lens you might want down the line. In terms of a body I'd agree with Steve and have a good look at a D300s, buy s/h if you can as it'll save you money. As rioja said it all depends really how far you think you might go with the hobby as to what you spend your money on now and whether or not you want to be Canon or Nikon.

I would definitely not let yourself be tied down by the lens you have; consider it a golden opportunity to try out different brands and see what works for you, as it's quite a hassle to switch once you've committed to a lens mount and have acquired any amount of lenses. I'm fully committed to Nikon, but there's a small part of me that wonders if I should've gone with Sony or Pentax for in-body stabilization, although exotic telephoto choices for both are a lot more limited.

I also agree that you'll probably find the 70-300 too short for much bird photography, especially since it doesn't take too well to teleconverters.

It really does come down to how much you are intending to spend.

You have a D lens that will fit existing Nikon cameras and those that are going to be launched in the future.

Nothing wrong with this lens, it will give you sharp images.

I can’t argue against starting from scratch and Canon’s 7D would be a good choice, I wouldn’t discount the Pentax either, but you’re going to spend more money on the camera and a new lens.

If I had to choose, I would keep this lens and buy one of the new Nikon cameras that will come out this summer, it doesn’t give me an immediate solution, but it would put me on the right track for the future.

Thank you all for taking the time out to reply with your thoughts. You have all contributed with some excellent remarks.

I realize the move into digital photography will be an expensive hobby to endure.
At the moment I think I should follow the advise of Aagea and get some hands on feel for both the nikon and canon bodies.

Some thoughts to share:

Pro Nikon:
I guess this lens would give me the opportunity to experiment with and to gain some experience in digital photography. I would probably pair the lens with a new or secondhand D300s . I could then save for a lens with more reach. Nikon may have a new option in the 400 range by then.
Initial spend approx 1K. :eek!:

Pro Canon.
Trade or sell the existing nikon lens, Buy a new Canons 100 - 400L zoom lens, pair it with a second hand 40D or new 550D.
Hopefully gain good experience while the saving for a body upgrade.
Initial spend approx 1.6K. :eek!:

Perhaps I should just keep to my scope and bins.8-P

Just to throw a spanner in the machine: have you taken any photos in recent years? If not, why not invest in a superzoom first to see if you even care enough about photography before starting to throw big money around?

Niels

Just to throw a spanner in the machine: have you taken any photos in recent years? If not, why not invest in a superzoom first to see if you even care enough about photography before starting to throw big money around?

Niels

Niels
Thank you for your reply
I am currently using a Panasonic Lumix LX5 for everyday snaps. Not exactly a superzoom I know, but ok for general use and around the bird feeders.
I may at some point consider linking it up to my Swaro ATS65HD

Cheers SC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back