• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What will this October Bring? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
Every October, usually around the middle of the month, the UK gets a mega-rarity. Just for fun, what do you think we'll get (or what would you like to see) this year?

I'll have a Naumann's Thrush please...

... or if it's coming from the other direction, another Yellow-throated Vireo.

A Zoothera Thrush, White's for preference, and a showy mainland stayer if that's not too big an ask!

How about you Jason, what are you crossing your fingers for?

James

dbradnum said:
I'll have a Naumann's Thrush please...

... or if it's coming from the other direction, another Yellow-throated Vireo.

seeing as i've had both of them already.... sorry Dave!!! ....I think a self found Pech Pipit scuzzing around in the grass at Waxham would be nice even if not a brit tick... or a stunning male Sibe Thrush, Lancey, Sibe Rubythroat etc which would be welcome new birds

Tim

JWN Andrewes said:
How about you Jason, what are you crossing your fingers for?
Where do I start?! I've been singularly unlucky with American warblers, so almost any of them would be a Brit tick. An American Redstart would do me nicely, but Magnolia Warbler would be better. Or Blackburnian, N Parula, Hooded, Wilson's - you name it! Oh, and can I have a Pallas's Sandgrouse, please? - in Devon/Cornwall.

Tim Allwood said:
seeing as i've had both of them already.... sorry Dave!!! ....I think a self found Pech Pipit scuzzing around in the grass at Waxham would be nice even if not a brit tick... or a stunning male Sibe Thrush, Lancey, Sibe Rubythroat etc which would be welcome new birds

Tim
Grrrr.... some people have seen too much! I only just realised that both Naumann's were in Woodford (NE London), basically where I live.... that's an amazing coincidence.

I'll go along with male Sibe Thrush or Rubythroat, though. Let me know when you've found them!

Hi all,
There are ALREADY a few birds in the UK which, if found here next month, would make the autumn for some of us (Yellow Warbler eludes many of us 'lower listers', and nobody has Little Crake or Little Swift)....
VERY quiet here again, though a 'new' Greenish Warbler has been found today. Hopes not too high for October, as recent years have seen the Yanks turn up to the north (in Iceland or Shetland, with this Yellow Warbler ominously signalling that this will continue), so I'll go with Dusky Warbler as a catch-up for myself and quite a few others, or maybe (if we're lucky) an Olive-backed Pipit...some of us are easily pleased!
Regards,
Harry

Hi there,
Would have been pleased to have been at the Old Head of Kinsale today: yet again, THAT species continues to elude me....
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back