• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 vs. Swarovski CL Pocket Mountain 8x25 vs. Zeiss Victory 8x25 (1 Viewer)

I can’t comment about the Swarovski or the Terra but the Victory Pocket 8x25 is an outstanding binocular. I just keep mine in my jacket pocket (I wear Scottevests so I have lots of pockets). You can use the Swarovski small binocular case, it’s a snug fit but it’s usable, unlike the comically huge one supplied by Zeiss.

I used mine to watch a pair of great egrets idespite pouring rain in Sonoma, and could clearly see their distinctive crest for identification at about 300m.

Last edited:
I went through this decision tree last year and got the Terra.
Never having a pocket before I did not know how well I
would like or use them, so the lower price seemed like a
more reasonable gamble/investment.

edj

I wanted to follow-up on my post. Over the past 5 years I've gone through the following "compacts" trying to find an ideal one:

Elite Custom Compact 7x26 (loved it the most, but too big in its case and not waterproof)
Nikon Monarch 8x30 (2nd favorite, but again, too big in its flimsy (seemingly generic) case)
Zeiss Terra 8x30
Leica Ultravid 8x20 (too fiddly and eye placement is tricky, especially with my eyeglasses; kept it around for 3 years hoping I would get used to it but just couldn't)
Leica Ultravid 8x32 (short eye relief + the case didn't provide as much protection as I felt I need for it)
Carson 7x20 reverse porro - I cheap porro that punches above its price point of $80, but definitely not pleasing enough for my eyes
Vortex Diamondback 8x32 (terrible view and the worst of all I tried; maybe I just got a bad pair)
Several monoculars - no matter what, just couldn't bet used to the single eye piece.

It had finally dawned on me that what I wanted was somewhere in between a diminutive 8x20 and a large 8x30, so that's why my original thread. An 8x25 would provide more portability that an 8x30 doesn't, but be brighter and have an easier view than an 8x20. At any rate, I have found the Zeiss Terra 8x25 to be near perfect! The dual hinge folding means it folds very small, it's rugged, and waterproof. I took it out against the only compact of all those above I still have - the Leica UV 8x20 - and the Terra bested it in nearly all environments - just about equal sharpness, but a much more pleasing view, and the larger objective proved invaluable as the sun waned, producing a noticeably sharper view. Nevertheless, the double hinge means they fold up small - much smaller than the 8x30's - and the small case means I can throw it in my backpack and not worry about it, while still taking up very little precious space. (The large case ruled out the Zeiss Victory Compact 8x25.)

The only things I would change in the Terras are the diopter, which I've accidentally moved a couple of times as I'm holding the binocular, and I'd love a wider field of view.

I am very happy with them and I can say I am finally done searching for a compact I'm happy with. Thank you again everyone!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back