• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

The map shows various locations en route in Northern Ireland ending in County Londonderry.

It seems sensible to get Dotterel out of the way, but as far as the Ross's Goose is concerned, I think that I'd prefer to tick a decent Category C, than a mid-September Ross's Goose!

Are they odds on for 750 yet?

All the best

So in broad terms a fortnight until the Azores. To fill the gap until then, what are the options:-
(i) Netherlands
(ii) Ireland
(iii) Mainland Britain
(iv) Shetland
(v) Elsewhere in Europe
(vi) Azores early
(vii) Anywhere else

I reckon that they'll need about 12-15 rarities (maybe 8 or more of those on the Azores) together with the expected species at future locations to hit 750 so it could be a crucial period to secure that outcome?

All the best

Last edited:
So in broad terms a fortnight until the Azores. To fill the gap until then, what are the options:-
(i) Netherlands
(ii) Ireland
(iii) Mainland Britain
(iv) Shetland
(v) Elsewhere in Europe
(vi) Azores early
(vii) Anywhere else

I reckon that they'll need about 12-15 rarities (maybe 8 or more of those on the Azores) together with the expected species at future locations to hit 750 so it could be a crucial period to secure that outcome?

All the best

Looking at the current weather forecast, Shetland or east coast mainland Britain look good bets for early next week. Realistically, the only targets they could get here would be Lanceolated Warbler or a vagrant thrush or bunting.

The Azores look the best bet for getting a high number of new species. The winds don't look half bad either, with fairly strong westerlies direct off Newfoundland early next week. Tricky choice!

Looking at the current weather forecast, Shetland or east coast mainland Britain look good bets for early next week. Realistically, the only targets they could get here would be Lanceolated Warbler or a vagrant thrush or bunting.

The Azores look the best bet for getting a high number of new species. The winds don't look half bad either, with fairly strong westerlies direct off Newfoundland early next week. Tricky choice!

I think they are in the classic conundrum of to chase what has been found or go somewhere and see what turns up.

They already have Lanceolated warbler and most likely buntings. Really need Dusky & Radde's which should be later in October. Perhaps Azores is the best bet now?

Have they had Pechora Pipit?

Have they had Pechora Pipit?

One of the twelve commonest WP rarities on my start of the year classification that they are yet to see in my view:-

Swinhoe's Storm Petrel
Yellow-billed Egret
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Rüppell's Griffon
Wilson's Phalarope
American Herring Gull
Pechora Pipit
Radde's Warbler
Dusky Warbler
Red-eyed Vireo
Pine Bunting

The next bracket down contains a number of the scarcer Yanks & Sibes that could be seen in the next fortnight & October:-
Red-footed Booby
Double-crested Cormorant
American Bittern
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Northern Harrier
Verreaux's Eagle
Tawny Eagle
Allen's Gallinule
Purple Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Great Knot
Western Sandpiper
Red-necked Stint
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
Short-billed Dowitcher
Upland Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Ross's Gull
Laughing Gull
Franklin's Gull
Pallas's Sandgrouse
Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk
White-throated Needletail
Chimney Swift
Fork-tailed Swift
Belted Kingfisher
American Cliff Swallow
Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Stejneger's Stnechat
Siberian Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Grey-cheeked Thrush
Eyebrowed Thrush
Naumann's Thrush
American Robin
Black-and-white Warbler
Northern Parula
American Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Bobolink
Baltimore Oriole

All the best

Last edited:
Dusky Warbler, Raddes Warbler and Pechora Pipit must be a fair shout within the next couple of weeks in Shetland?

Hopefully they are off the Western Isles today and getting positioned further south with PG Tips in the Netherlands and Norfolk? ...

All the best

As a non-native speaker of birding English I had my problems with understanding "PG Tips"! Misunderstood it as a claim of Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler before the Swedish guys clarified it. Can anyone explain to me why you English birders call this species like that?

As a non-native speaker of birding English I had my problems with understanding "PG Tips"! Misunderstood it as a claim of Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler before the Swedish guys clarified it. Can anyone explain to me why you English birders call this species like that?

PG = Pallas's Grasshopper
Tips = white feather tips

PG Tips = brand of tea popular in Britain

Stephen

Had a feeling they'd seen one... not much else on offer to tempt them back over here at present.

I'd still guess that we will be the most likely location for something this weekend. Not sure if they have anywhere that they can be put up on floors/spare rooms to keep cost down whilst they sit it out.

Otherwise, I'd agree that the Azores sooner rather than later for a bit of pioneering. Interesting that it appears that Corvo is unoccupied yet. One of the regular visitors ought to get a Corvo local to set up a bird feeding station and buy them a digital camera. The results could be interesting!

All the best

One of the regular visitors ought to get a Corvo local to set up a bird feeding station and buy them a digital camera. The results could be interesting!

Yes!!! And on any under-watched rarity hotspot in the WP and not a camera but a webcam. Imagine what birds might be seen coming out the bushes! :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back