• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Song Recorded in Songs. (1 Viewer)

Well now. I strongly recommend you listen closely to both albums by the Imagined Village. Given that the second one is on Emmerson Corncrake Constantine records that might give you a clue. That's Mark Constantine, of the Sound Approach to Birding. The Corncrake should need little introduction. And Simon Emmerson of Working Week, producer with Realword/Gabriel/Baaba Maal and of course the man behind Afro Celt Soundsystem and now, with input from Paul Weller, Billy Bragg and many more, the founder of the Imagined Village. And a bit of a birder. You can get quite a list from Simon's various albums ... I spent a bit of time on tour with AfroCelts in the 90s and Godwits were a regular topic of conversation on the tour bus ...

A couple more:

Govinda by Kula Shaker has Peacocks calling at the beginning; Early Bird by the Eagles has a mixed assortment of bird songs, also at the beginning, although they do sound a bit "man-made".

Another couple:

Holiday by The Happy Mondays has a short burst of Herring Gulls; Tarzan's Nuts by Madness features a "man-made" kookaburra at the start.

There`s Jackdaws & Rooks on "Help me Somebody" by Eno/Byrne, & Eiders somewhere on "Songs for swinging Larvae" by Renaldo & the Loaf.

another pink floyd song has skylarks and ducks is grantchester meadows on the ummagumma album

I was sitting in the sun on our deckchair in the garden listening to a borrowed copy of that on my sister's portable record player. Old Mrs Routh, our next door neighbour (and my godmother) looked over the hedge and said "Aren't the birds singing beautifully today? It's lovely".

EDIT. Thinking back, I think it was Cirrus Minor I was listening to on "More".

Last edited:
Black River by Paul Weller on his last album 22 Dreams has a Blackbird singing on it and a very brief snippet of a House Sparrow at the end of the track.

Si.

"Its natures way of telling you somethings wrong"

Spirit, The 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, no bird sounds but a great album!

David

You bet David! It's my favourite album. Lyrics in the track Natures Way were the inspiration behind my signature.

Si.

The Beatles. Good Morning. Has I think what sounds like a brief trill of a robins song [could be blackbird] and a farmyard rooster.

Si.

Another Pink Floyd one that came back to me under a most fitting setting this morning.

The Rooks in Echoes.

I had a CD of various tracks on MP3 in the player in my car, operating on random play as an alternative to Gordon Brown on the radio repeating "lessons had been learned" over and over.

Echoes started as I was driving west through the fields near Netherwitton towards the moors, it's the first time I've listened to it in years. Then as I got onto the moors proper and entered the long straight to Winter's Gibbet (photo from this morning below) the track entered the bleak middle section that contains the sound of rooks and various electronic wails. It fitted the landscape I was passing through perfectly.

Then as I pulled up at the carpark opposite the gibbet the mood and the music changed. The more optimistic end section of Echoes started and I left it playing as I scanned the forest. Before it ended I had peregrine and a displaying goshawk in sight.

Result.

Attachments

• IMG_0979 copy.jpg
    IMG_0979 copy.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 43
I can probably come up with lots, but to be starting with one of my favourites this is the Memory Band and 'Once Bittern':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2mPvJQ3uQ
In addition to Bittern, there's Grasshopper Warbler, Bearded Tit and a few other reedbed birds in there.

I believe it's a Savi's Warbler rather than Grasshopper Warbler. Compare:

Savi's:
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/pirpa/Loclus090515IHPaPm.mp3

Grasshopper:
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/harry/locnae_20070717_0204_raisio_mke300_tk.mp3

Moorhen calls clearly after the Bearded Reedlings at about 1:30, the other species are quite faint.

Last edited:
I believe it's a Savi's Warbler rather than Grasshopper Warbler. Compare:

Savi's:
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/pirpa/Loclus090515IHPaPm.mp3

Grasshopper:
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/harry/locnae_20070717_0204_raisio_mke300_tk.mp3

Moorhen calls clearly after the Bearded Reedlings at about 1:30, the other species are quite faint.

You might be right actually. And I agree about the Moorhen. I think Water Rail's in there somewhere too.

On the very fine new album by Field Music, there's a bit of Collard Dove calling on one of the tracks.

my first thought was the Jeff beck track too! mighty whammy bar workout that one

how esoteric can i go? well there's a rare album by Ross Hannaford Trio (aussie guitarist of daddy cool fame - eagle rock anyone? features wedgie in one clip of the day!) last track on sole album from 1996? last track 'Kookaburra' he and nband mates simulate kookaburra sounds. Ross does this with a wah pedal and flange effects? only for a few bars and phrases tho - no real bird on there lol

speaking of musicality of kookaburras, i often am astounded and blown away when i listen closely to their calls, especially recently more and more, the group/duet ones.. were one is doing the beat(s) percussive/pulse part and the other(s) will musically improvise off it, they hang together .. really theres something going on there thats out of this world! has there been any studies of this?

Last edited:
Joseph Hill 'river zion' .There is a Robin that calls at some point when he sings-"and i sat down on a stone listening to the bird sing"!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back