• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

Great Grey Shrike

Hey Paul

As you probably saw on FB I did indeed track down the Great Grey Shrike and had good prolonged views. Also had the privilege of watching an Otter hunting for 30 minutes in a drainage ditch. Also bumped into a Hen harrier and saw quite a few Buzzard, including a very pale-headed bird.

Had a pretty darn good weekend with 4 Twite, 2 Short-eared Owl, 3 Barn Owl, 2 Hen Harrier, 3 Bearded Tit, 1 Med Gull & 5 Stonechat all locally with the Shrike the cherry on the cake.

Sorry to hear about your scope, but glad you got to find the Shrike and see a few other good birds. Hope you get the scope fixed.

Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 125
Hey Paul

As you probably saw on FB I did indeed track down the Great Grey Shrike and had good prolonged views. Also had the privilege of watching an Otter hunting for 30 minutes in a drainage ditch. Also bumped into a Hen harrier and saw quite a few Buzzard, including a very pale-headed bird.

Had a pretty darn good weekend with 4 Twite, 2 Short-eared Owl, 3 Barn Owl, 2 Hen Harrier, 3 Bearded Tit, 1 Med Gull & 5 Stonechat all locally with the Shrike the cherry on the cake.

Sorry to hear about your scope, but glad you got to find the Shrike and see a few other good birds. Hope you get the scope fixed.

Cheers

Sean

Well that's the best pic of the Shrike i've seen so far is it still about? Me scope is with the good people at Swarovaski Optik hopefully i will have a diagnosis soon.

I finally managed to make contact with a Purple Sandpiper at Ness Point today, the first one I have seen this autumn. It was decidedly cool there in the north easterly wind!

Ron

Attachments

• Purple-sand-10-14-1.jpg
    Purple-sand-10-14-1.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Purple-sand-10-14-2.jpg
    Purple-sand-10-14-2.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Nice pics of the Purple Sandpiper. Hoping one will turn up at E Lane again soon. Sadly the Great Grey Shrike didn't linger. It may well be on Hollesley or Sutton Heath by now.

I did manage to catch up with the Ravens at Gedgrave today.

Great to catch up with the 1st winter red backed shrike and purple sandpiper today. RBS located at ness point in Lowestoft. Right next to the staff gate entrance to birds eye factory. Shows really well...

B :)

Also great to finally get Raven in East Anglia with the pair at Gedgrave this morning. It really was a perfect morning, being quiet, bright and still, with plenty of birds. The close one of the two Ravens was 'cronking' away and apart from these we also had two ringtail Hen Harriers, two Marsh Harriers, Peregrine, two Sparrowhawks, several Kestrels, a pair of Bearded Tits, many Golden Plover, Stoat and a superb close-knit group of c15 Rock Pipits feeding along the estuary wall.

Steve.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Ravens are male and female and will pair up.

That's a big count of Rock Pipit. Which side of the river was it on? That is also the first report I've heard of Peregrine locally. They have been a bit thin on the ground. Hopefully I'll catch up with the Peregrine in the future.

Cheers

Sean

The Rock Pipits were on the Gedgrave Marsh side of the Ore and we encountered them right on the corner where the public footpath running south east from the minor road meets the estuary wall where they were feeding. It is the first time in Suffolk that I have seen such a tight flock of Rock Pipits feeding in such a small and obvious place as this. As its still autumn I would think that some, if not all of them were migrants passing through.

The Peregrine flew low south west along the back of the marsh.

Steve.

Popped over the border to see 'your' shrike again today (for the third time!), still getting on with its business despite the rain.

Attachments

• 2014-11-02-red-backed-shrike-DSC01601.jpg
    2014-11-02-red-backed-shrike-DSC01601.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 107
Desert Wheatear

I went for a walk on Lowestoft North Denes this morning to see if there was anything about, when I noticed a few scopes near the promenade. When I went to investigate I lucked into the Desert Wheatear. A gorgeous, extremely confiding little bird, posing in perfect conditions.

Meanwhile, the Red-backed Shrike has not departed but has relocated to the turbine enclosure, where it has a bit more 'personal space' than before.

Ron

Attachments

• Desert-Wheatear-1-small.jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-1-small.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Desert-Wheatear-2-small.jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-2-small.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Desert-Wheatear-3-small.jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-3-small.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Distant-Shrike-small.jpg
    Distant-Shrike-small.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Trumpeter Swans

Trumpeter Swans I found at Boyton yesterday..shame they are unlikely to be wild, still nice to see.

There was lots of raptor activity with SE Owl, Barn Owl, Hen Harrier all showed well along with Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel and Peregrine today.

Attachments

• TrumpeterSwan2.JPG
    TrumpeterSwan2.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 117
  • TrumpeterSwan3.JPG
    TrumpeterSwan3.JPG
    523.7 KB · Views: 127
  • TrumpeterSwan4.JPG
    TrumpeterSwan4.JPG
    895.3 KB · Views: 150
  • TrumpeterSwan5.JPG
    TrumpeterSwan5.JPG
    784 KB · Views: 109
  • TrumpeterSwan1.JPG
    TrumpeterSwan1.JPG
    801.2 KB · Views: 132
Trumpeter Swans I found at Boyton yesterday..shame they are unlikely to be wild, still nice to see.

There was lots of raptor activity with SE Owl, Barn Owl, Hen Harrier all showed well along with Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel and Peregrine today.

Awesome birds!

I recall an aberrant black-billed Bewick a few years ago which looked a bit like one of these. It was with the Fenland wild swan herd and spent some time near the fields at Lakenheath. I don't have Birdguides subscription any more but pretty sure it was on there.

Anyway, back to these beauties. Wonderful birds regardless of provenance!

Happy birding :t:

I had my best ever views of a Water Rail at Oulton Broad this afternoon. This extremely confiding individual was feeding in the open amongst the Mallards about 2-3 metres away from me, apparently completely unfazed by my presence. Every so often it seemed to realise where it was and sprinted into the reeds. It soon reappeared again, though. Not exactly a rare bird but a real treat to watch in the beautiful sunshine.

Ron

Attachments

• Close-Water-Rail-1-small.jpg
    Close-Water-Rail-1-small.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Close-Water-Rail-2-small.jpg
    Close-Water-Rail-2-small.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Close-Water-Rail-3-small.jpg
    Close-Water-Rail-3-small.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 88
I had my best ever views of a Water Rail at Oulton Broad this afternoon. This extremely confiding individual was feeding in the open amongst the Mallards about 2-3 metres away from me, apparently completely unfazed by my presence. Every so often it seemed to realise where it was and sprinted into the reeds. It soon reappeared again, though. Not exactly a rare bird but a real treat to watch in the beautiful sunshine.

Ron

Excellent Ron, such a treat when a smart bird like that gives tremendous views.

Gi

Trumpeters!

Decent views of these lovely birds yesterday, feeding quite close to the river bank.

Attachments

• TS bestet.jpg
    TS bestet.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 114
  • calling.jpg
    calling.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 128
  • TS flapping.jpg
    TS flapping.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 109
Got a couple of days in suffolk at the end of the week so wondering best place to access Breydon South wall on the chance of the richard's pipit been around and wondering where the Covehithe shore larks are still around

many thanks

Got a couple of days in suffolk at the end of the week so wondering best place to access Breydon South wall on the chance of the richard's pipit been around and wondering where the Covehithe shore larks are still around

many thanks

If you head in to Great Yarmouth from the south along the A12, there is a road to the left at TG514075. Follow the road past the playing field until you see a turn off to your right with parking places. You can carry along to another parking area closer to the river wall at TG510075. Follow the river wall head west for a kilometre or so past Humberstone Farm to an obvious kink in the river wall.

Yes the Shorelarks are still at Covehithe Broad.

Gi

I am going to lackford lakes tomorrow, yet I am having an issue finding a more up to date sightings or even a members page that contains sightings. Can anyone remedy this please?

Many thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back